ONTAP Discussions

move root volume of a vfiler to different aggr

joerg_schoettker

Hello

I have a FAS6080 with ontap 7.2.6 on it. The filer have 4 aggr. Three of them have SATA disks and one have FC disks.  In the moment the volumes of one vfiler are on different disks and I have to write a plan  them.

My problem is, that the root volume of the vfiler is on a FC-aggr and I have to move it SATA-aggr.

Does anyone have an idea how to do it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

radek_kubka

Hi and welcome to the communities!

That should answer your question:

https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb4500

Regards,

Radek

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

radek_kubka

Hi and welcome to the communities!

That should answer your question:

https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb4500

Regards,

Radek

ludwig_mainguenaud

Hi Radek,

It's seems your link is dead ... Have you another one ?

BR.

scottgelb

From our Insight Conference Labs.. an example of how to move a vFiler root volume.  It requires that you enable the network after... a little bit of a shell game... I recommend trying it in the simulator or with a test vFiler first, then when comfortable run it on your vFiler.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This lab will move the vfiler root volume for fas6280a_vfiler1 running on the fas3270 node.  The vfiler must be stopped, destroyed and recreated using the same root volume name (the new root must be renamed to the old root name).  This is quite different from moving a vfiler0 root volume using “vol options volname root”. 

You can rename the volume with “vol rename old new” anytime, however to acdtually move the root volume requires that we destroy and recreate the vFiler using the same name of the root volume before/after the move to another aggregate. 

Volume Data Motion (when supported by NAS volumes) was introduced in Data ONTAP 8.0.1.  When supported on NAS it will eliminate the need for this lab.  Volume Data Motion for NAS works in 8.0.1 but is only supported for SAN volumes and availability of the volume is not guaranteed for NAS.

The procedure below will move the fas6280a_vfiler1 root volume from aggr1 to aggr_root

• Create new root vol, restrict it, and vol copy the existing root to the newroot
    • fas3270> vol create newroot -s none aggr_root 20m
    • fas3270> vol restrict newroot
    • fas3270> vol copy start -S fas6280a_vfiler1_root  newroot
  • Stop and Destroy the vfiler (we will recreate later with newroot after swapping names)
    • fas3270> vfiler stop fas6280a_vfiler1
    • fas3270> vfiler destroy fas6280a_vfiler1   # confirm “YES”
  • Rename volumes so the newroot is the same name as oldroot
    • fas3270> vol rename fas6280a_vfiler1_root oldroot
    • fas3270> vol rename newroot fas6280a_vfiler1_root
  • Online the new root volume and recreate the vfiler
    • fas3270> vol online fas6280a_vfiler1_root
    • fas3270> vfiler create fas6280a_vfiler1 -r /vol/fas6280a_vfiler1_root

NOTE: the ns1 interface will not be configured and needs to be configured.  You can ifconfig the interface, or use the “setup -e”, but setup -e  will wack some files since the setup command updates hosts.equiv, exports, resolv.conf, etc.  These can be restored from the .bak versions copied at setup time or from snapshots.  You will need to fix the rc file in a production environment (.105 will be left over from the prior lab…multistore doesn’t always clean up rc as expected).

• fas3270> vfiler status -a   # not the interface is unconfigured
  • fas3270> ifconfig ns1 alias 192.168.150.103   # might not be an alias in your case.
    • alternatively (wacks some files) - fas3270> vfiler run fas6280a_vfiler1 setup -e ns1:192.168.150.103:255.255.255.0 (don't use setup - use ifconfig)
  • fas3270> vfiler status -a   # not the interface is configured

DKOROTKIKH

Don't want to create a new topic, because my situation is absolutely the same. I need to move root vfiler volume from SAS disks to SATA.

I have FAS3240 and NetApp Release 8.2.2P1 7-Mode

There is a dead link above and a procedure of motion with recreation of a vfiler. But I want to know, is it possible not to destroy, but just stop a vfiler; use "vol move" to move root vfiler volume and start vfiler again then? (vfiler is used for CIFS-shares)

RAK-123

I also don't  want to create a new topic, because my situation is absolutely the same. I need to move root vfiler volume from SAS disks to SATA.

I have FAS3240 and NetApp Release 8.2.4P2 7-Mode

There is a dead link above and a procedure of motion with recreation of a vfiler. But I want to know, is it possible not to destroy, but just stop a vfiler; use "vol move" to move root vfiler volume and start vfiler again then? (vfiler is used for NFS-shares)

Do I have to stop the vfiler? 

IF I do stop the vfiler, does that suspend all NFS sharing?

Public