ONTAP Discussions

upgrade 32bit aggr to 64bit

TDUBB1234

how do I upgrade a 32bit aggr to 64 bit? what are the steps and downtime?

21 REPLIES 21

scottgelb

With ONTAP 8.1, you add disks to grow the aggregate over 16TB and it will automatically convert in the background (no downtime) from 32 to 64 bit.  Growing over 16TB is the only supported method.  If you search this community you will see some posts of a diag mode in place method without adding disks but that is not supported (diag mode command).

You can also replicate from 32 to 64 with ONTAP 8.1 and have a quick downtime while you cutover to the new volume but if you are on 8.1 then the best solution is to add disks and convert the existing aggr for now downtime.

aborzenkov

It does not do this automatically, you have to explicitly say you want to convert when adding disks. Otherwise it just rejects command if size will exceed 16TiB.

scottgelb

System manager should give a popup they can click wen growing to convert. Do you use cli or system manager and is it ontap 8.1?

aborzenkov

CLI of course ☺

TDUBB1234

but im on  8.0.1P3. how do i convert to 64bit without upgrading to 8.1?

radek_kubka

Basically you can't.

What you can do, is to create new 64-bit aggregate and then migrate the data off the old one, e.g. via Qtree SnapMirror (VSM won't work unfortunately).

Regards,

Radek

scottgelb

Qtree snapmirror or Ndmpcopy if not on 8.1. It might be worth waiting for your upgrade. Then you can upgrade in place by growing the aggr or volume snapmirror too 32 to 64.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

radek_kubka

I see I need to add a signature to my posts: "Send from my (awesome) Android phone" 🙂

scottgelb

Reply to the email notification on a thread and it is from email

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Re: upgrade 32bit aggr to 64bit

created by Radek Kubka in Data ONTAP - View the full discussion

I see I need to add a signature to my posts: "Send from my (awesome) Android phone"

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on NetApp Community

Start a new discussion in Data ONTAP by email or at NetApp Community

TDUBB1234

what is besrt way to move my vnmware luns off this 32bit aggr to 64bit? create new 64bit aggr/vol/qtree/lun and svmotion the vms off the old luns or can i still use qtree snapmirror?

scottgelb

Storage VMotion would be a great way to do this...then you don't have downtime.

TDUBB1234

how do i qtree snap mirror between 2 qtrees? i have 2 luns on 2 different aggr

scottgelb

QSM creates a qtree on the target volume for you.. So you can mirror any source qtree (or non qtree data by specifying /vol/volname/-  ... the dash meaning non-qtree data as the source) and the target is always a qtree.  You specify the source /vol/volname/qtree or "-" and the target /vol/volname/qtree.. the target volume can have multiple qtree mirrors if you want.

But if VMware and the goal is non-disruptive 32 to 64 bit (and not ontap 8.1) then storage vmotion sounds like a much better fit.

radek_kubka

Just bear in mind Storage VMotion is a host-side operation, so with large VMs may be problematic performance-wise.

fhauntsman

Hi, I just receive this document from support after searching and searching, great doc..

In-Place Expansion of 32-Bit Aggregates to 64-Bit

Overview and Best Practices

Link= http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3978.pdf

Enjoy and hope this helps

igalkatzir

Great Article indeed, the syntax from cli goes like this:

aggr add aggr_name -64bit-upgrade normal -n 2

This is when you want to add two disks to the aggr.

Igal

SHARMAMANISH

You Can do via a priv set diag command

aggr 64bit-upgrade start aggr1 -mode grow-all

aborzenkov

You should never use diag level command without explicit instructions from NetApp. Conversion to 64 bit (without adding disks and diag commands) is supported as of 8.2.1RC1.

scottgelb

Agree 100% with this. Not without support prior to 8.2.1. Unless a lab or test environment maybe. This was not supported until 8.2.1 even though hidden prior and carries risk without support.

Sent from my iPhone 5

oweinmann

Hi,

I have to migrate data using the 7Mode Transition tool to our new CDOT 8.3 Filer. Problem is that I can only use 7Mode transition tool if the source Volume is 64Bit. Unfortunately the volumes on our old 7Mode system are only 32Bit. The 7mode system (FAS 2040) is running the latest availabe ontap release:

NetApp Release 8.1.4P8 7-Mode

the CDOT is running 8.3RC1.

How can I convert the 32Bit Volumes to 64Bit? I did run:

aggr 64bit-upgrade start aggr0 -mode grow-all

on one of the old filers without a problem, but there was just one small volume and no production data on. I'm a bit afraid to run it on the production filer, but as far as I can see there is no way around it?

Public