ONTAP Rest API Discussions

PowerShell Toolkit Not Working Correctly With Versions Later Than 9.10.1.x

mada2885

I've updated PowerShell Toolkit on my workstations and servers to versions later than 9.10.1.x (either 9.11.1.2208 or 9.12.1.2302) and now standard cmdlets do not work correctly unless using the legacy -ONTAPI switch.  When I try to run something seemingly simple like Get-NCVol I get varying and/or missing results (see attachments).  As far as I can tell the Get-NCVol uses the volume-get-iter REST API which has no mention that it is being deprecated or does not have a REST API equivalent from ZAPI.  The same thing happens for other common cmdlets such as Get-NCAggr.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AmmarMhowwala

Hello Adam,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We have been able to replicate it on our end and we assure you that we will be addressing it promptly. Rest assured that we will have it fixed in the upcoming release version 9.13.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

AmmarMhowwala

Hello Adam,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We have been able to replicate it on our end and we assure you that we will be addressing it promptly. Rest assured that we will have it fixed in the upcoming release version 9.13.

a_lehn

Any update about this issue, look like Netapp.ontap version 9.12.1.2302 and  9.13.1.2306  not have fixed the issue. (moving from zapi/rest)

mada2885

Same here.  Updated to 9.13.1.2306 as well and still have to use the -ONTAPI legacy switch even though it was said the 9.13 version would resolve the issue.  Since ZAPI is set to be fully disabled/depcrecated soon it would be nice to be able to start using the current API.

AmmarMhowwala

Hi,
According to the document, REST API will return following type of volumes only.

RW, DP and LS volumes
FlexGroup volume

FlexCache volume
FlexClone volume
FlexGroup constituent

Following volumes are not reported by the API - 

DEL and TMP type volume
Node Root volume
System Vserver volume
FlexCache constituent

So, by considering above information Rest API will exclude few types of volume while zapi response will include few more types of volume which will not return by the REST response.

Please let me know if response return by REST API does not contain any volume type which is expected to return as per the documentation.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Is there any more information on whether version 9.13.1.2306 of the toolkit works properly? I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade from 9.11.1.2208. I've had numerous problems with prior upgrades and don't want to waste time if there are known issues. Our PowerShell scripts make use of the following commands.

Connect-NcController (with -OnTapi added to the command as of 9.10)

Invoke-NcSsh

Get-NcCifsShare

Get-NcCifsShareAcl

Get-NcIgroup

Get-NcLunMap

Get-NcNetInterface

Get-NcNetPort

Get-NcExportRule

AmmarMhowwala

Hello Thomas,

Just wanted to update you that there is currently no known issue associated with 9.13.1 toolkit with respect to the cmdlets you shared above.

However, I would like to inform you that when upgrading the toolkit there might be some variations in functionalities or features. This is because couple of reason: either the REST API does not support certain aspect or there may be alternative approach to achieve the same functionality.

I can assure you that there is no issue with 9.13.1 toolkit. Just be aware that there might be some difference because few features are not supported with REST API itself.

If you have any further questions or concern, please don't hesitate to reach out.

TMADOCTHOMAS

@AmmarMhowwala , thank you for responding. The differences with REST API is the very issue I'm referring to, i.e. the topic of this post :). I know nothing about either zapi or REST API, I simply want the scripts to work if I upgrade. How would I know if there are differences/issues and/or if I would need to change or update my scripts? How would I know what to update them to?

TMADOCTHOMAS

@AmmarMhowwala (or anyone else), are there any updates on the issues raised in this post? Did the bug/issue get resolved in a later patch of version 9.12.1 or 9.13.1, or is there a later version available now that resolves the issue?

mada2885

I've been using version 9.13.1.2306 for a while now and it seems to be working correctly.

a_lehn

If you run everything with admin roles, it works fine, in our case we have many roles for different jobs. We were not aware that there had been a change in the way of creating roles, so we will now have to create roles for the rest api

security login rest-role create

It solved our problem

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thanks @mada2885  and @a_lehn 

Public