Simulator Discussions

Adding disks to 8.3.1 Simulator - larger than 220GB - how to extend filesystem

sraudonis

Hello,

i searched already but didn't find the correct soloution... In some blogs i read that i should resize the VMDK to 550 GB but they didn't wrote how to extend the filesystem for the /sim partiton on the /dev/ad3 disk.

clu01-01% df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ad3   223G 27G  179G  13%      /sim

I'm wondering that with sudo fdisk ad3 i only get this infos:

clu01-01% sudo fdisk ad3
******* Working on device /dev/ad3 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=1220564 heads=15 sectors/track=63 (945 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=1220564 heads=15 sectors/track=63 (945 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
start 8, size 1000 (0 Meg), flag 0
beg: cyl 0/ head 0/ sector 9;
end: cyl 0/ head 15/ sector 63
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>

There is no large partiton...

How is the Simulator using this disk? Is there a way to tell the simulator to use a larger VMDK?

I tryed to boot a FreeBSD CD to look on this disk, but the informations are the same, the disk looks empty except the very small partition...

Kind regards

Stefan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SeanHatfield

Its really easy if you do it at the right time.

Before turning on the simulator for the first time, delete the disk on IDE1:1 from the vurtual machine.  Then add a new IDE disk on IDE1:1 of the desired size, in this case probably ~600gb to leave yourself some headroom.  When the simulator starts up for the first time that disk will be initialized with a UFS file system and the VHA simdisk files will be created according to the relevent bootargs.  For more info on that see my document Building and Customizing NetApp Simulators.  

Now for that to work you need a simulator for 8.1.1 or later.  For the older versions of ONTAP resizing the /sim filesystem requires quite a bit more effort.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SeanHatfield

Its really easy if you do it at the right time.

Before turning on the simulator for the first time, delete the disk on IDE1:1 from the vurtual machine.  Then add a new IDE disk on IDE1:1 of the desired size, in this case probably ~600gb to leave yourself some headroom.  When the simulator starts up for the first time that disk will be initialized with a UFS file system and the VHA simdisk files will be created according to the relevent bootargs.  For more info on that see my document Building and Customizing NetApp Simulators.  

Now for that to work you need a simulator for 8.1.1 or later.  For the older versions of ONTAP resizing the /sim filesystem requires quite a bit more effort.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

sraudonis

So siple... Worked perfect:

clu01-01% df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ad3   581G 27G  508G  5%       /sim

Many thanks!

Public