Effective December 3, NetApp adopts Microsoft’s Business-to-Customer (B2C) identity management to simplify and provide secure access to NetApp resources.
For accounts that did not pre-register (prior to Dec 3), access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour as your legacy NSS ID is synchronized to the new B2C identity.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

Simulator Discussions

Cannot get Netapp vsim 7m on vsphere 5 running

NewOfficeGuy

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get a vsim netapp 7m 8.2.1 running and I got the file for the tgz from this location:

http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/simulator/ontap/8.2.1/vsim_netapp-7m.tgz

I'm encountering problems trying to get the simulator running. when I open the vmx file it will boot but it will say it does not have a recognized core disk.

Referencing https://community.netapp.com/t5/Simulator-Discussions/8-2P6-7-Mode-simulator/td-p/122726#, I thought I might have to convert the files into ova so I did with:

c:\Program Files\VMware\VMware OVF Tool>ovftool.exe --shaAlgorithm=SHA1 "C:\7 mode\vsim.ova" "C:\7 mode\vsim-SHA1.ova"

But I still got the same boot disk issue.

I attempted what was suggested but I get an error for attempting to convert the vmx here:

c:\Program Files\VMware\VMware OVF Tool>ovftool --allowAllExtraConfig --extraConfig:monitor_control.pseudo_perfctr=TRUE --extraConfig:timeTracker.forceMonotonicTTAT=TRUE --extraConfig:monitor_control.disable_tsc_offsetting=TRUE --extraConfig:monitor_control.disable_rdtscopt_bt=TRUE "C:\7 mode\vsim_netapp-7m 8-2-1\DataONTAP.vmx"
Error: OVF Package is not supported by target:
- Line -1: Unsupported value 'monitor_control.disable_rdtscopt_bt' for attribute 'key' on element 'ExtraConfig'.
- Line -1: Unsupported value 'monitor_control.disable_tsc_offsetting' for attribute 'key' on element 'ExtraConfig'.
- Line -1: Unsupported value 'monitor_control.pseudo_perfctr' for attribute 'key' on element 'ExtraConfig'.
- Line -1: Unsupported value 'timeTracker.forceMonotonicTTAT' for attribute 'key' on element 'ExtraConfig'.

Would anyone be able to advise on how I can get vsim 7m running?

1 REPLY 1

MarinALBULESCU

Hi,

I have also downloaded the 7-mode simulator from 

http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/simulator/ontap/8.2.1/vsim_netapp-7m.tgz

and facing the same issue with ovftool.

However, I have managed to have the simulator running by installing VMware Workstation Player and from here you just select "Open Virtual Machine"  and point to the " DataONTAP.vmx" after you extract the .tgz, than .tar archives.

To have it run on eSXI, I assume you just need to upload all the files to a datastore and register the virtual machine.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public