Simulator Discussions

How to start the simulator on VMware Workstation

SUNIL_PAL

Hi Guys,

I just got the ONTAP 8.0 simulator. I tried to install it using vmware workstation but it looks like i got stuck at very beginning.

So I was following the readme and it said select a virtual network interface from virtual network editor. My question is, what should i really select from the below screen.

Also after this has been done. I suppose to boot the machine and select a mode, which it says, should be "Clean configuration and initialize all disks".

After which I'm suppose to enter following details -----

Provide details at the following prompts:

a. New host name

b. IP address for network interface

c. Netmask for network interface

d. IP address of default gateway

e. Time zone

f. Enter a new password

What values should be provided here or from where can I fetch these values?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

prsmith

The virtual network interfaces you select depend on how or if you want to connect to the rest of your network.  In my opinion the cleanest way is to connect to VMnet8 which connects to your physical network by NAT. 

When I expanded the files and opened the .vmx file in VMware workstation it had four network adapters, two on VMnet2, which is a private network seen only by VMs with interfaces on it, and two on VMnet0, which is bridged to the physical network.  If you select the bridged network you will need to get the configuration from your network administrator.

I configured my simulator by leaving the first two interfaces on the private network(e0a and e0b) and putting the second two on the NAT network VMnet8 (e0c and e0d)

If you use the bridged network you will need to get IP configuration information from your network admin.

If you select the NAT network you are the network administrator.  From your screen shot the NAT subnet is 192.168.0.0.  Unless you have changed it the DHCP range is 192.168.0.128 to 192.168.0.254, with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and default gateway of 192.168.0.2.  Your workstation will have an address on that network of 192.168.0.1.  You need to select an unused address outside of the DHCP range, you should be safe with anything from 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.127, unless you already have a VM using it.

My suggestions:

a: hostname: your choice

b. IP address: 192.168.0.10 for e0c (or you can create an interface group with e0c and e0d)

c: netmask: 255.255.255.0

d: gateway: 192.168.0.2

e: timezone: your local time zone

f: password: your choice, it needs to have sufficient complexity or it will be rejected

Happy simming.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

prsmith

The virtual network interfaces you select depend on how or if you want to connect to the rest of your network.  In my opinion the cleanest way is to connect to VMnet8 which connects to your physical network by NAT. 

When I expanded the files and opened the .vmx file in VMware workstation it had four network adapters, two on VMnet2, which is a private network seen only by VMs with interfaces on it, and two on VMnet0, which is bridged to the physical network.  If you select the bridged network you will need to get the configuration from your network administrator.

I configured my simulator by leaving the first two interfaces on the private network(e0a and e0b) and putting the second two on the NAT network VMnet8 (e0c and e0d)

If you use the bridged network you will need to get IP configuration information from your network admin.

If you select the NAT network you are the network administrator.  From your screen shot the NAT subnet is 192.168.0.0.  Unless you have changed it the DHCP range is 192.168.0.128 to 192.168.0.254, with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and default gateway of 192.168.0.2.  Your workstation will have an address on that network of 192.168.0.1.  You need to select an unused address outside of the DHCP range, you should be safe with anything from 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.127, unless you already have a VM using it.

My suggestions:

a: hostname: your choice

b. IP address: 192.168.0.10 for e0c (or you can create an interface group with e0c and e0d)

c: netmask: 255.255.255.0

d: gateway: 192.168.0.2

e: timezone: your local time zone

f: password: your choice, it needs to have sufficient complexity or it will be rejected

Happy simming.

SUNIL_PAL

Hey I have installed the simulator as you suggested. It runs sucessfully

However, it is quite different than the one in our environment. I can not run basic commands like sysstat or disk show. I'm really a beginner to all this (SAN and the SAN boxes)

this is what I get when I press "?"

Also, How do I open filer. Please reply.

prsmith

You are running the Cluster mode simulator.  It sounds like what you really want is the 7-mode simulator.  Download and install the 7-mode simulator, then it will look like the existing ONTAP 7 or ONTAP 8 filers.

Get the documentation and read at least the Software Setup Guide and the System Administration Guide.

SUNIL_PAL

I read the setup guide for data ONTAP 8.0

It says to skip all the configuration as said above and then to initialise disk using "init" mode.After that login with the credentials and shoot the following command

cluster create -clustername <cluster_name> -license <Base_License> -ipaddr1 <ip_address_cluster_port> -netmask 255.255.255.0 -ipaddr2 172.19.2.1  mgmt-ip 192.0.2.7 -mgmt-netmask 255.255.255.192 -mgmt-gateway 192.0.2.1

When I shoot the command the system shows the following error

Anyways any idea where i can download 7-mode simulator.

prsmith

If you have a NetApp NOW account you can download from here: http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/simulator/ontap/8.0.  This page has links for 7-mode and C-mode for versions 8.0, 8.0.1, 8.0.3 and 8.1, as well documentation and license files for the simulator.

If you currently have NetApp filers running in your organization someone should have a NOW account and would be able to download it for you if you don't have an account.

SUNIL_PAL

any solution to the above problem ?

It says the subnet should be different

SUNIL_PAL

thanks i'll try it. I'm too new to all this. I wish to give the netapp certification. It will be great help if u know which is the basic certfication and what materials can help me.

SUDHEER_H21

Sunil,

NS0-154 NetApp Certified Data Management Administrator (NCDA) is the basic NetApp Certification what you can look into. Next level is :

NS0-502 NetApp Certified Implementation Engineer (NCIE). If you can email me, I can help you out with some tutorials.

Regards,

Sudheer.

SUNIL_PAL

Hi Sudheer,

Thanks for  your response. I would really appreciate if you can help  me with NCDA. Please give me your email address and i will drop you a mail soon.

Regards,

Sunil.

Public