Simulator Discussions

ONTAP 9.7 Simulator show varfs_backup_restore message

Wencheng

Hi All

I create a single node cluster for CIFS testing...I had create a aggrgate &volume for CIFS share .

after all setting..I  could connect it from a Win10 Workstation..

but one day later...My Cluster show Mroot messagt like below

NetAPP模擬器_如何關掉備份.png

I do not need backup anything on my lab 

How could I disable the backup task ??

Thasnk!! 

Wencheng

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlainTansi

Hello @Wencheng 

As i previously stated above,  normally no action is usually required for this error.  The varfs_backup_restore script runs several times during the boot process, so even if it fails initially, subsequent runs of the script will succeed and save a backup of /var.

This bug was identified in ONTAP version 9.4 and it was not stated if it affected all previous versions. So you should be fine with 9.0.

The backups can also fail if the root volume is having less space

Please if this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

AlainTansi

Hello Wencheng

This issue with  varfs_backup_restore errors has been identified to be a bug in ontap version 9.6 and earlier.

It is fixed on ontap version 9.7RC1 and above. Maybe the sim version was not updated. But if you are to run the full version on your environment, there should be no concerns.

Normally, no action is required.  The varfs_backup_restore script runs several times during the boot process, so even if it fails initially, subsequent runs of the script will succeed and save a backup of /var.

Ref kb: https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/Backup_of_the_%2F%2Fvar_file_system_failed%3A_Found_67_files_missing_i...

Public report: https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1208848

Please if this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!

Wencheng

Hi 

Thanks!!! so it is known issue , correct ? it is a great news...because I do not spent time to find reason why it "always" breake my lab.

could I ask , so this bug that I could not fix it my modify any thing in this version , only use 9.7RC1 version, Correct ?

Thanks!!

Wencheng

Wencheng

HI

I  check my Simulator version...it seem 9.7 version...so it should be fix the problem...

but seem still generate problem.

Could I disable the backup task ??

I had disable all snapshot setting , but this backup task did not relate snapshot task...

what setting that I could did more ?

thanks!!

Wencheng

AlainTansi

Hello Wencheng

You can not disable varfs backup.

It does not have any effect or can make any changes to your lab.

If you are currently on version  9.7, you can try to upgrade to  9.7P1 or higher and see if it fix.

But i am not 100% sure that this bug is fix on the simulator versions of ONTAP.  

Wencheng

Hi 

If I could not disable backup task...

Could I extend Mroot ? Because it always show /Mroot "no space left on device".

I had let the root aggrgate from simulator's original size to extend 8 GB size (add 6-8 virtual HD size)

but the extend action seem did not also extend /Mroot.

NetAPP模擬器_如何關掉備份_05.png

Wencheng

Wencheng

HI

when I  search from google...I get a PPT file..it show I could modify system backup setting..

Although it only let me set the minimal number is 1 ...but could I set disable ?

NetAPP模擬器_如何關掉備份_06.png

Wencheng

I revert snapshot to clear setting..

I see the vol0 in aggr0-clustername-node01...

NetAPP模擬器_如何關掉備份_07.png

even I extend aggr0...the vol0 still keep original size...and I seem could not modify size....

Because I will test audit log later...it seem also use the aggr0...

correct ?

AlainTansi

Hi ,
Mroot is in the root volume vol0, meaning, resizing vol0 i think should resolve the issue. You can also disable snapshots on the root and set the schedule to 0 0 0 so that no snapshots be taken that will consume vol space.

Delete root vol snapshot and schedule

Cluster1::> run local

Cluster1-01> snap delete -a -f vol0

Cluster1-01> snap sched vol0 0 0 0

Add capacity to vol

Cluster1::> vol modify -vserver <vserver_name> -volume <vol_name> -size +1g   #to increase vol size by 1GB

Wencheng

HI Thanks your information about vol0

when I occur this problem in my lab...

I did your procedure

NetAPP模擬器_如何關掉備份_08.png

then extend vol size to add 1 G (this command's parameter seem different on 9.7)

NetAPP模擬器_如何關掉備份_08_2.png

after reboot...it occur message like below...

NetAPP模擬器_如何關掉備份_08_3.png

whether I need extend vol0's size before I meet this problem or not ??

Sorry, I am not NetAPP expert , I just want to build a NetAPP NASlab to testing .

Wencheng

Wencheng

recently, I install old OnTAP 9.0 version

then I do same procedure to create a volume which enable CIFS and NFS..

it running about 3 days...it does not occur backup issue or Mroot space did not enough.

Whether the OnTAP default space are more space to let backup task runing ?

NetAPP模擬器_9.0不會出現備份問題.png

AlainTansi

Hello @Wencheng 

As i previously stated above,  normally no action is usually required for this error.  The varfs_backup_restore script runs several times during the boot process, so even if it fails initially, subsequent runs of the script will succeed and save a backup of /var.

This bug was identified in ONTAP version 9.4 and it was not stated if it affected all previous versions. So you should be fine with 9.0.

The backups can also fail if the root volume is having less space

AlainTansi

For the "MDB RECOVERY UNSUCCESSFUL FOR THE" errors

It leads me to this knowledge article 

License add fails with "invalid license key" and throws "MDB recovery unsuccessful" errors in AutoSupport

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/License_add_fails_with_%22invalid_license_key%22_and_throws_%22MDB_rec...

Public