Simulator Discussions

ONTAP Simulator 9.13.1 doesn't work after a reboot

qSkills

We downloaded the latest version of the ontap simulator (9.13.1) and deployed the .ova on our vmware esx-cluster.

No matter what we're doing with the new VM, after starting the first time and finishing the initial setup, every time the VM has to be rebooted for any reason, the bsd doesn't boot anymore.

That happens in any case. Even if the VM is forced to restart after the initial setup, without doing anything with it. We also tried to finalize the normal cluster-setup. All is working fine until the restart.

We also tried it with more RAM (8GB, 16GB) but nothing changes the result, VM always stops at the same point after restart.

17 REPLIES 17

qSkills

As an additional information: During the first start of the VM (which works normal), we noticed that the VM displays double the amount of RAM than we provided for the VM. Even if the VM is configured with 6 GB of RAM, the displayed amount is 12 GB. If we configured 8 GB, the displayed amount is 16 GB. If we configured 16 GB, the displayed amount is 32 GB.

We checked this issue with an older version (9.12.1). There both values are corresponding. 8 GB configured and 8 GB displayed while booting.

tarotodoroki

Latest news

9.13.1GA is replaced with 9.13.1P7 which has the fix for the burt- 1530252 [3B] - "Simulate ONTAP and ONTAP Select video console appears to hang during boot

KB ONTAP Select node 9.13.1 appears to hang during boot

Burt 1530252 - ONTAP Select/Simulate ONTAP 9.13.1 video console appears to hang during boot

eric_pes

I am having the exact same issue.  It works until I have to reboot, then fails to load at the same spot.  See https://community.netapp.com/t5/Simulator-Discussions/Issue-with-ONTAP-Simulator-9-13-1/m-p/446223

qSkills

Hi eric,

have you checked if your freshly deployed VM displays double the amount of RAM which you configured for the VM prior to the first start? (Like shown at the screenshot of my 2nd post). Perhaps it's a bug within the ova itself.

G2T

Same issue, stops at the exact same spot no matter what after reboot.  Was there a resolution for this?

Carsten_Recknagel

It seem's that only the Output from the console stops, after a while try to use the ONTAP System Manager

Carsten_Recknagel

I've made some tests on Workstation and ESXi environments, the result is the same:

The filer itself  works properly, only the console may be redirected and seem's to hang.

G2T

I went back to 9.12.1 and that version has been working withou this issue, something is up with 9.13.1.

Ontapforrum

Yes, agree something up with 9.13.1. It doesn't matter how much memory/cpu is given, it simply hangs when it goes for a reboot. Only way I have managed to get it to work, is by restoring it to the working-snapshot of the console when it was first setup. I guess, as this is a simulator, it will be difficult to get any update on the root cause of this simulator build.

Carolinas-SE

As stated in the release notes and download page, the ONTAP vsim is not ported to run on ESXi.  It is only supported on Fusion, Workstation or Player.

HernanMaslowski

But is not working on Workstation to anyone, the ESXI is an additional test to check if Workstations has a specific problem with 9.13.

Jianhong-Yin

Got same problem while try to bring up ONTAP-simulator on KVM; and has been resolved:

see: https://github.com/tcler/ontap-simulator-in-kvm

https://github.com/tcler/ontap-simulator-in-kvm/issues/1

tarotodoroki

I  deploy ontap simulator 9.12.1, and configured.

I tried to update ontap 9.13.1P6.

Update is completed, web access and ssh access worked fine on ontap 9.13.1P6.

But console is displayed following.

tarotodoroki_1-1702545195071.png

I think this phenomenon is console output bug.

rafaelcezario

I have the same problem here using VMware® Workstation 17 Pro.

The console crashed, but ssh and the browser for ONTAP work perfectly.

Waiting for a new version, maybe ONTAP 9.14 will solve this problem.🙌

Thallium

The simulator does not stop or hangs after a reboot. It's output to the console is just gone.

The solution for the simulator 9.13.1  is to set in the VLOADER prompt : set screen.textmode=1 and then boot.

I haven't found a way to make this stick for the next boot, but at least you have output to the console.

rafaelcezario

Perfect Thallium.
Thanks

Flo51

Thank you Thallium, the simulator starts fine.
It's just the VMware console which no longer displays the text during boot after a halt or a reboot of the node (everything is displayed fine if you pass the command "set screen.textmode=1" before booting), without passing this command, just wait a few minutes for the system to boot and access to the System Manager is operational. I wasn't patient and also thought it wouldn't restart...

Public