Simulator Discussions

ONTAP simulator disks in "unknown" state

WDaniel

I was messing around with the simulator I built on my Windows laptop. But accidentally broke it assigning disks.

Currently there are 7 SSDs that are unknown on node 2

After trying  to run many commands from cluster.  I think the only way to remove those disks is by going into the system shell, like I did to add SSDs.  The disks in "unknown" container status are SSDs.

I tried to reassign the disks, tried removing the disks, tried disk simpull....

Nothing worked. It keeps telling me: failed to remove disk. Reason: Disk NET-1.37 does not exist.

I have 7 SSDs that are in this state. I don't know if it will cause issues with the lab or not? 

5 REPLIES 5

aladd

It's odd that it doesn't give a size for these disks either. How were the virtual disks set up for this?

Can you check storage disk show -ownership output?

Also, can you attempt to remove ownership "storage disk removeowner -disk <disk ID>"

WDaniel

Just to clarify, I didn't break the simulator when I was initially adding the disks, I broke it once the disks were already added. They are SSDs 

I started running commands learning how to assign disks and did something the simulator didn't like.  

But initially I added these SSDs using the commands referenced here in this forum. 

How To - Add disks to the Clustered Data ONTAP Simulator - NetApp Community

can't run any commands to unassign them even though it says Node 2 owns them. It just reads non existent when I do. 

WDaniel

I haven't tried unassigning them using the diskname from node shell output though? i don't know if this would make a difference? I have been running the disk commands from cluster shell

aladd

The command I sent should be to remove the ownership from Cluster shell. this should work where the reassign is not.

by removing disk ownership and then assigning as needed.

WDaniel

Screenshot 2022-05-23 223456.jpg

I attached the output showing node 2 owns the disks that are unknown. you can see that in the first image I originally attached too. But the image above shows that the disk is just not responding as connected. 

Public