Simulator Discussions

VMware/VirtualBox Simulator for A300 All Flash System

sr9

Is there a VMware/VirtualBox Simulator available for the NetApp A300 All Flash System? I'd like to take a look at the REST API for some monitoring purposes.

Cheers,

Rhys

2 REPLIES 2

GidonMarcus

Hi,

That system will use the ONTAP operation system.

you can download it from here (if you have a validated account):

Note that NetApp also have SDK available with the following technologies:  C and C++, Java, Perl®, C#, VB.NET, PowerShell®, Python, and Ruby:

You can still use REST ONTAPI. but i think the SDKs give you better framework ans parsing the ONTAPI is not always easy (especially with hundreds of objects as it tend to split to multiple responses)

RESTful API directly to the array is still in build (according to NetApp podcast from last week).

also. for some tasks of monitoring and reporting. you may be better going via WFA on on command API, or directly to take data from OCUM MySQL DB or use BIRT to generate reports from it.

i know i throw lot's of data on you while you asked pretty straight forward question. just wanted to make sure you are not going to the most frustrating and non-scalable path while there's better tools available for you.

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

GidonMarcus

one more thing about monitoring.

NetApp has free monitoring tool for the system called OCUM. a paid one called insight.  and  free plug-in's exists for a few bespoke monitoring/graphing/logging tools. and also has full SNMP MIB and TRAP implementation that can likely integrate with any monitoring tool out there.

let us know if you need any directions with choosing the right hammer for your task. as i get this can be very confusing.

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK
Public