VMware Solutions Discussions

Email alerts on SnapCenter Plug-In for VMware

HUX20002000

I'm having two, probably related issues with this otherwise excellent plug-in.

I'm using version 4.3 of the plug-in appliance, which is installed on a VMware ESXi 5.5 U3 server and connects to a 2-node FAS8200 cluster running ONTAP 9.4P5.

Problem #1: I'm unable to configure default email info in "Settings". The boxes are gray and I'm unable to type in them. (See attached screenshot.) This happens whether I'm logged in to vCenter with my regular account with admin permissions, or the VMware SSO admin account with full permissions.

Problem #2: I am able to configure email notifications for each individual resource group. However, the notifications are not getting sent. I'm assuming this is because the outgoing SMTP server address should be configured in "Settings", per problem #1.

Any idea how I can fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HUX20002000

SOLVED!

The solution is to log in to vCenter using the legacy Flex (i.e. Flash-based) web client rather than the HTML5 client. From there you can edit the relevant fields as normal.

I didn't think of this earlier since vCenter 6.7's HTML5 client is supposed to be at full feature parity with the Flex client. I should've realized that doesn't necessarily include third-party plug-ins.

NetApp has a bug filed for this - 1296374 - however, there are apparently no plans to fix it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

hmoubara

Hello,

You should be able to configure the default email alert settings when you create resource groups. Can you setup the email notifications from the snapcenter server under Settings>Global Settings>Notifications Server Settings

The smtp server address is saved in the snapcenter Server repository as a global setting for all snapcenter plugin and not only the one for Vmware. 

Let me know if this works out for you.

Thanks 

HUX20002000

Hi, thanks for the reply!

"You should be able to configure the default email alert settings when you create resource groups."

I can. However, there's no outgoing SMTP server setting in the email notification configuration of a resource group (see attached), so the emails won't get sent. The SMTP server setting is in Settings -> [vCenter] -> Email settings, which is the part I can't configure (per "Problem #1").

"Can you setup the email notifications from the snapcenter server under Settings>Global Settings>Notifications Server Settings"

You mean from the web interface of the "SnapCenter Plug-In for VMware" appliance? I don't see a "Settings" option in that interface. On the left side there's a "Configuration" button and at the upper right there's a settings gear icon, but neither contain any email-related options.

HUX20002000

SOLVED!

The solution is to log in to vCenter using the legacy Flex (i.e. Flash-based) web client rather than the HTML5 client. From there you can edit the relevant fields as normal.

I didn't think of this earlier since vCenter 6.7's HTML5 client is supposed to be at full feature parity with the Flex client. I should've realized that doesn't necessarily include third-party plug-ins.

NetApp has a bug filed for this - 1296374 - however, there are apparently no plans to fix it.

Public