VMware Solutions Discussions

How to determine which VM's (NFS files) are contributing the most to snapshot deltas?

fletch2007

Hi - we have a 3.5Tb NFS datastore running about 30 vmware virtual machines.

We try to maintain 21 days of daily netapp snapshots, but lately the daily deltas are > 100gb/day and its becoming challenging to keep 21 days without growing the volume.

(the data:snapshot space ratio is about 1:2 - the snapshots take twice as much space as the actual VM images - and this is with dedup ON)

How can we best determine which set of the VMs is contributing the most to the daily snapshot delta (that 100Gb)?

Armed with this information we can then make decisions about potentially storage vMotioning VMs to other datastores to meet  the 21day retention SLA.

thanks

http://vmadmin.info

5 REPLIES 5

keitha

Just curious, are you doing the snapshots after the dedupe? Ideally you dedupe then take the daily snapshots. That will keep any of the duplicate blocks out of the snaps.

Usually when this happens it is a DB server doing a dump to a local disk or some sort of defrag running in a VM. Any of those?

Keith

fletch2007

We're doing nightly snapshots which by default (can you change the timing of nightly snaps?) happen at midnight.

Dedup for this volume was schduled for midnight as well

I've moved the dedup to 10pm and we'll see if this helps

There has to be a way to tell which files (VMs) are contributing the most to snap deltas - if Netapp is serious about being a cloud storage solution they need a tool for guaging this

I don't have an obvious VM like DB or defrag

thanks

keitha

I'm not sure how to determine the growth per VM in the datastore but did have a couple other things come to mind. First you said the datastore was 3.5TB and had 30 VMs. How much of the 3.5TB is the VMs themselves? I'm just wondering what the average VM size is.

Also do you know if any of the VMs are swaping to disk? That is, what is the memory utilization on your ESX hosts like?

Are you doing any storage VMotion activity?

Keith

joseph_harlan

Keith brings up some really key questions that make me wonder if there may be a better way to optimize your use of the storage.  So from what has been said so far, I understand it that you have a 3.5TB single-datastore backed by a roughly 10.5TB volume.  That is 3.5TB + (datastore size * 2 for snapshot reserve) = ~10.5TB volume.

So dedupe has some limitations based on the controller model you are using and the version of DOT you are running.  I would look to be sure that your config is not exceeding any limitations.

Secondly, dedupe for virtual environments is typically best acheived where lots of the same OS, and only the OS disks, is stored on the same datastore.  While it sounds like you may in fact have that going for you here, you are also mixing the data the VM's are responsible for on the same datastore as the OS's.  Perhaps if you were to migrate the OS vmdk's to their own datastore with dedupe enabled you could save some space there.  Then, depending on the data types and applications you are using on the various VM's, you could create multiple datastores to house the similar data types keeping the fundamental capabilities of the dedupe feature and your needs for recovery of the data in mind all the while.

Using more than one datastore in VMware is one of those things that sounds and looks uglier than it is.  In many cases it is a necessity for data protection and performance.  Especially when you start talking virtualized Oracle DB's.

So circling back to the math we did earlier.  Let's say you are running Windows 2008 R2 across the board (wouldn't we all love things to be that simple!).  That could mean that you have 30 VM's with an average of 30GB's or so per OS instance in just the OS disks; that is ~900GB in full non-deduplicated storage.  If all of the vmdk's for the OS's that add up to this amount are stored in one datastore with dedupe enabled, you stand to experience a *substantial* dedupe rate.  I will defer you to TR-3505 for estimations on the rate though.  Let's just say for the fun of it that you score an 80% dedupe rate...I believe that is actually fair.  At that rate, you stand to save 720GB right there.

So you can start to see how layout of the storage you use can have a substantial effect on how much savings you glean from the enhanced technologies in the array.  Let us know what you decide to do and how this all pans out.  We are rooting for you!

fletch2007

Keith, thanks for the tip on scheduling the dedup BEFORE the nightly snapshots - I moved the dedup job up 2 hours before the midnight snapshots:

Its too early to tell for sure, but last night's snapdelta 47.48Gb (as reported by filerview) was less than half the pre-schedule change deltas:

On this volume we have 94 VM images with an average of 22Gb per VM used:

I moved the dedup job up for our 2nd biggest VM volume to see if the snap delta reduction is realized there too

Our goal is to be able to retain more daily snaps in the same space

thanks!

Public