The transition to NetApp MS Azure AD B2C is complete. If you missed the pre-registration, you will be invited to register at next log in.
Please note that access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

VMware Solutions Discussions

How to obtain the Secondary LUN IDs when using Protocol End Points to connect to a VVol

k2prakash

Hello,

I am trying to understand how Protocol End Points work in the context of deploying VVol Datastores over a fibrechannel SAN network. I have successfully deployed a VVol Datastore on my FAS-8040 using the VASA Provider with the required storage profiles for my testing. I was also able to create a VM and added that to the VVol Datastore, after associating the storage policies of its files to the created VVol datastore. When I power on the VM and analyze the trace captures, I see that all the communication happens only to the PE LUN, which I believe is correctly working. But, I was curious to know how the ESX Hosts learn about the other Sub LUNs for the metadata(config), vmdk and the swap LUNs created inside the Virtual Volume. More importantly, I was curious to know if the ESX Hosts learn about the Sub or the Secondary LUN Ids.  From the screenshots placed below, the vmdk LUNs do not appear to have a LUN ID which is also confusing to me, since I thought there a binding of the Secondary LUN ID to a Protocol End Point LUN. Where can I find the Secondary LUN ID to PE binding using CLI or system Manager?

Also, as part of my investigation, on one of the Inquiry exchanges to the PE LUN, I see that the VPD contains a LUN with the SCSI name "naa.600A0980383035694F2B495A67654356". This has also been attached in the screenshots below. However, when I look up the available LUNs through system manager, I dont see this LUN listed in the vServer that hosts my VVols. I was  curious to know what this LUN could be be. Lastly, I was also interested to know how do the ESX Hosts bind to the vmdk LUNs, if they dont send any Report LUNs or Inquiry commands to these LUNs.  I would really appreciate your feedback with this.

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public