VMware Solutions Discussions

Ops Manager and Emailing reports

peter1965

Hi All using the latest version of Ops manager (DFM)I have some reports scheduled to send to me via email however I do nto get any reports sent to me. Instead I get "failed" with the following message:

Error reading output file: Reason: The report schedule did not generate any output. 

Perhaps I scheduled th report wrong? Its basically a volume growth report for my vmware volumes.

Any help hints tips or tricks would be appreciate!

Thanks Much!

14 REPLIES 14

BrendonHiggins

If you browse into Ops Manager / Reports / Customer Reports and run your reports do they return data OK or is it just the scheduled reports which fail?

Bren

peter1965

Hi Brendon,

Based on your recommendation I ran a test report in custom and it displayed data with no problems.

Thing is the documentation I have found the admin guide talks about all these things but doesn’t necessarily walk you through on how to set things up. I have found some things on the net to assist but I would get that error mentioned.

Any other tips?

BrendonHiggins

I would test the theory that DFM running a scheduled report uses the DFM service account and when you log into DFM, it runs the report as you.  Try logging onto DFM with the service account and run the report.  My guest it does not have permission to view the data.

My other idea would be report requires a variable setting before it can run.  When you run the report manually it asks you to enter the parameter and selects the required data to report on.  This does not happen on the scheduled report and hence no data returned.

Bren

msaravan

Are you using Windows ?? What version of OpsManager are you using ??

Also, can you look at the option reportsArchiveDir and ensure that the path that is mentioned there is exist.

"dfm options list reportsArchiveDir"

Regards,

Saravanan

peter1965

I am running this on Windows 2K8 STD 4 bit. DFM version 4.0.1.7536 (4.0.1)

And are you saying run that command on the filer ? Which I did and there is an error as in that command doesn’t exist.

Fyi the filers are 6280

msaravan

No, you have to run this command on your DFM server.

Regards,

Saravanan

peter1965

Pardon the ignorance..

Here you go:

C:\>dfm options list reportsArchiveDir

Option            Value
reportsArchiveDir D:\Program Files (x86)\NetApp\DataFabric Manager\DFM\reports\

msaravan

In your post, I didn’t see any values there for reportsArchiveDir option.

Can you execute the command once again and paste the output.

Regards,

Saravanan

peter1965

Yeah I noticed that and went back into edit it a few minutes later.. but its there

msaravan

Thanks Peter. Please check the following 3 items one by one and share your observation :

=> Can you ensure that the folder D:\Program Files (x86)\NetApp\DataFabric Manager\DFM\reports\ do exist on your windows machine.

=> If it exists, can you login to this box with the user (who runs the schedules in opsmanager) and try to create a folder there ??

=> If you are able to create the folder @ reports archive path, can you try running the schedule with the same user using "Run Selected" option

(Path : Control Center -> Reports -> Schedule -> Report Schedules -> Select your report and click "Run Selected". Then go to Saved Reports, and click on the Output ID and let me know the output that you find there.)

Thanks,

Saravanan

peter1965

Hmmm

Failure Reason

You do not have the capability to perform the DFM Database Read operation on the target object.

I used my account which is domain admin to run the report and to test/create a folder as instructed.

msaravan

Peter,

You are hitting the below issue :

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=476131

This link has the workaround.

Regards,

Saravanan

msaravan

Also, you can try upgrading to DFM 4.0.2 which has fix for this issue.

peter1965

Thanks.. I should of just doen that in the first place.

Anyhow that worked for me.. Thank you again for sticking with me to reolve this.

Public