VMware Solutions Discussions

Support for vCenter 5.5

alliantenergynjk

We are currently at vCenter 5.0.  I am getting some push to upgrade to 5.1, but with all of the horror stories I have heard about "single sign on", I am hoping to skip 5.1 and go straight to 5.5 (not right away, but in a few months if we hear about no major problems).  Will VSC 4.2 work with vCenter 5.5, or do we have to wait for VSC 5.0 to be released?

Thanks

NK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kboyle

As stated by mlisa, VSC 4.2.1 is available on NSS Downloads as of today 10/3.  Go get it!

Please always review IMT and Release Notes, as with any new product offering.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

daniel_kaiser

We too are planning to upgrade to either vSphere 5.5 or 5.1 within the next few weeks.  Currently we're running vSphere 4.1 and would like to skip 5.1 and go straight to 5.5.  Hopefully we'll get a response from Netapp regarding support. I know 5.5 was just released but it has got to be better and bring more functionality than 4.1.

DRZOIDBURG

+1 also need to know the same.

JWOLSKI_4

Throw my hat into this ring.  I've been looking all over and have come up with nothing.  I'm also on 5.0U2 looking to skip 5.1.  Do we need to wait for VSC 5.0 or what?

BRIANCLARKEWWT

We went from 5.1u1 to 5.5 and has some hiccups with the upgraded process from the CD.  Ended up with a complete re-install of the vCenter.  It is highly imperative to read the knowledge base articles that were put out before attempting upgrade(s) of current systems.

VSC 5.0 is still not available, VSC 4.2 will still connect to vCenter 5.5, we use VSC mostly for backups, that is still working, but we do see errors on cloning virtual machines, have not had time to determine if it's a NetApp thing or a vSphere 5.5 thing.

daniel_kaiser

I'm still amazed that no one from NetApp's "virtual team" or someone dealing with VSC has even chimed into give their two cents.  The original post was 4 days ago.  Is there another posting on the communities or forum site that already provided an answer. 

I would have to guess that Netapp has at least tested 4.2 with either the GA or Beta release of Vsphere 5.5 (Esxi 5.5 and vCenter 5.5) and could somewhat give guidance on what may work with 4.2 and what may not work. And also if they recommend waiting to go to VSC 5.0 because 4.2 with vsphere 5.5 is a hit or miss on certain features.  Any feedback from Netapp is greatly appreciated.

mlisa

Sorry for the late response.  VSC 4.2.1, which will support vSphere 5.5, will be available this Thursday, October 3rd. 

DRZOIDBURG

Fantastic. Thanks for the update much appreciated.

kboyle

As stated by mlisa, VSC 4.2.1 is available on NSS Downloads as of today 10/3.  Go get it!

Please always review IMT and Release Notes, as with any new product offering.

DRZOIDBURG

Downloaded and ready to go. Keep us updated if any issued discovered.

maness

VMware vSphere 5.5 support will be coming very soon in VSC 4.2.1.

BRIANCLARKEWWT

VSC 5 was demonstrated at VMWorld 2013 and it was understood would be released around the same time.  Since vSphere 5.5 moved away form the VIC for many things, I would expect VSC 5 to be out by now?  Or at least Gold Beta for Partners that need to be ready to support vSphere 5.5

daniel_kaiser

Maness - thanks. Do you have a tentative release date for 4.2.1 and possibly 5.0. Having some type of date will greatly help with the planning on our end.

DRZOIDBURG

Fantastic news! full steam ahead chaps couldn't come soon enough.

alliantenergynjk

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Sounds like 4.2.1 or 5.5 will be the way to go.  We rely heavily on SnapManager for SharePoint, so I am not going to take the chance of upgrading to 5.5, keeping VSC 4.2, and have it break SMSP.

NK

grahams

Hi

VSC 4.2.1 will be released very soon. It adds vCenter 5.5 support and some minor updates.

The VSC 5.0 version we demonstrated at VMworld is targeted for release in a few months and provides support for the vCenter web client along with some new functionality for storage policy based management.

cchandlervmware

We have deployed the VSC 4.2.1 into a test lab and when we run the "NetApp Recommended Settings" on upgraded 5.1 host the box just sits there and never does anything. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Chris

cchandlervmware

Also when we try to edit the a Backup job we get the following error message "Failed to determine privileges for operation: Edit"

netapp_1

Same here

COBBADMIN

We are having that same issue. Any resolution or updates from NetApp???

CASSEAU33

We are also having the same issue with 4.2.1. Any resolution ? Backup jobs are currently broken and we cannot create new ones.

Public