VMware Solutions Discussions

Upgraded to vCenter, broke SMVI

david_jirovec

We recently upgraded to vCenter. (We haven't yet upgraded the hosts, but that is coming soon.) Now SMVI (which is on the same physical box) fails on our backup jobs.

I have created different backup jobs, they fail too.

I have smvi gui and smvi service running under a domain admin. And I specifically defined admin rights in vcenter too. So I wouldn't think it's a permissions issue.

I have attached the error messages when I run the job manually.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amritad

Hi

We have seen this once:

Cause of this problem

This is caused by an issue with the VMware vCenter DB not properly updating during an upgrade, and being unable to provide a valid virtual machine listing when SMVI is querying it for a list of the virtual machines which are contained in each datastore.

Solution

This issue has been found to be caused by the vCenter database. Reinstalling vCenter will not resolve this issue.

Creating a new database and then reinstalling vCenter has been found to resolve this problem.

Note: If you are unable to create a new database for vCenter, please contact VMware technical support directly to troubleshoot the problem with the vCenter database

Regards

Amrita

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

keitha

I haven't has this before, but you might want to try going to the setup tab and try readding the VC server. Do you have VC added by hostname, IP or localhost? Once you re add it, try to just click on the inventory button to see if SMVI fetches the vCenter Inventory OK.

Keith

david_jirovec

VC was added by IP addr. I have changed it to localhost and dns name too. All three methods, the inventory shows the datastores but no VMs in any of the datastores.

amritad

Hi

This may happen if the VMware vCenter DB not properly updating during an upgrade.

Regards

Amrita

david_jirovec

The vCenter upgrade went well and is currently working. I have uninstalled and reinstalled smvi, same errors.

amritad

Hi

We have seen this once:

Cause of this problem

This is caused by an issue with the VMware vCenter DB not properly updating during an upgrade, and being unable to provide a valid virtual machine listing when SMVI is querying it for a list of the virtual machines which are contained in each datastore.

Solution

This issue has been found to be caused by the vCenter database. Reinstalling vCenter will not resolve this issue.

Creating a new database and then reinstalling vCenter has been found to resolve this problem.

Note: If you are unable to create a new database for vCenter, please contact VMware technical support directly to troubleshoot the problem with the vCenter database

Regards

Amrita

david_jirovec

Reinstalled vcenter with a new database and the inventory shows up now, and the backup jobs work again.

Thanks.

Public