VMware Solutions Discussions

Upgrading VSC 4.0 -> 4.1 and migrating to new vCenter Win Server

evil242

We are in the process of upgrading vCenter to 5.1 and need to upgrade VSC to 4.1

The plan is to install an entirely new vCenter 5.1 on a new Win Server and connect it to the current ESXi hosts.

What we are thinking the plan should be is to upgrade the VSC to 4.1 on the current vCenter 5.0 server.  Perform the fresh vCenter 5.1 install on new server, install VSC 4.1, and then copy config files over.

But will that preserve the current snaps?  Which config files should we copy over. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for migrating our current VSC to a new Win server?

Thanks in advance,

Damion

2 REPLIES 2

evil242

I guess the big question is after looking through the VSC 4.1 for vSphere "Install and Admin Guide" which files/directories would we want to copy over to the new server?

thanks in a advance,

CASTROJSEC

We did the same thing but I just created a new virtual server to host 4.1 and pointed it to the new vcenter 5.1 server.  The only thing I was worried about were the backups.  Since our retention policy is only 30 days I was able to live with creating new backups.  If you do it that way make sure your new backups are not the same name as your old ones.  I had to manually delete the old backups as the days passed but i wrote a simple script to do that.

Public