VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 2.0.1 RCU Server 2008 R2 Guest Customizations Do Not Work

erick_moore

When I deploy a 2008 R2 VM using the RCU, and I choose the guest customization specification, the VM will clone, but the guest spec never gets applied.  Is anyone else having this issue?  Is this a known bug?  We are running ESXi vSphere 4.1 and vCenter 4.1.

Thanks,

E-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

costea

What do you see in the kamino.log file?  Is there an error that looks like this:

Unable to customize <clone name> using <cust spec name> due to RuntimeFault.

com.vmware.vim25.InvalidRequest

If so, this will be fixed in the 2.0.1 P1 release that will be available in the next week or so.  If not, could you contact NGS or post some snippets from the log so I can help you diagnose the problem?

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

costea

What's the error that you're seeing?  Does the customize task complete or does it not even run?

It doesn't even run.  It creates the initial copy of image, creates the virtual machine file, copies the file, reconfigures the virtual machine, initializes power on, powers on the VM, and that is it.  It never runs the spec.

erick_moore

That guest comment was mine, I forgot to login.  So here is what I have found.  I have a VM that I have prepared the way I want.  I do the NetApp clone, and it will create the VM, but it will not apply the guest spec.  If I then run the RCU against the VM I just cloned it DOES apply the spec.

The clone of the clone only worked 1 time.  I am not quite sure how I got it to work, but I haven't been able to do it since.  All I have is a 2008 R2 VM, it does not have any unsupported characters in the name, it is powered off, it has 2 disks on 2 different datstores on the same controller.  The cloning works every time, but I have only seen it launch the customize VM that one time.

costea

What do you see in the kamino.log file?  Is there an error that looks like this:

Unable to customize <clone name> using <cust spec name> due to RuntimeFault.

com.vmware.vim25.InvalidRequest

If so, this will be fixed in the 2.0.1 P1 release that will be available in the next week or so.  If not, could you contact NGS or post some snippets from the log so I can help you diagnose the problem?

erick_moore

The log file is loaded with stuff, but yes, that error does appear in the log when I searched it. Could you please post on this thread when the P1 release is available?

Thanks,

Erick

The tentative target date is 11/30.

erick_moore

I couldn't find the release today.  I take that to mean the date slipped?

costea

It looks like it has been pushed back another week.

erick_moore

Any update on this yet?

costea

I am now being told that it will be the 14th.

erick_moore

Still pushed back?  I can't find any P release on the NOW site.

Before I install vsc2.01 , error

windows2008R2(simply chinease)

Is the soft pack damage? I try to download software vsc2.01 twice,but same error.

Public