VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 5.0 rapid clone error

roboshiro

Environment

Virtual center 5.5

ESXi 5.5

Ontap 8.2.1/8.1.3

Im getting the attached error when trying to do a rapid clone in VSC 5.0

The stack trace in the kamino log is: Any useful info describing what this error means would be appreciated.

2014-07-15 12:32:24,387 (qtp1633257541-26) DEBUG [ServerServiceImpl] - Filer: fas22a

2014-07-15 12:32:24,387 (qtp1633257541-26) WARN  [RemoteInvocationTraceInterceptor] - Processing of HttpInvokerServiceExporter remote call resulted in fatal exception: com.netapp.nvpf.api.model.KaminoApiService.getDatastoresForVMCloning

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.netapp.kamino.server.ServerServiceImpl.getDataStores(ServerServiceImpl.java:1375)

at com.netapp.kamino.server.ServerServiceImpl.getDataStores(ServerServiceImpl.java:1376)

at com.netapp.kamino.server.ServerServiceImpl.updateDatastores(ServerServiceImpl.java:1336)

at com.netapp.kamino.server.rmi.virtualmachine.service.VirtualMachineCloningService.getUsableDatastores(VirtualMachineCloningService.java:543)

at com.netapp.kamino.server.rmi.ServerServiceAdapter.getDatastoresForVMCloning(ServerServiceAdapter.java:1305)

at com.netapp.kamino.server.rmi.RMIServiceImpl.getDatastoresForVMCloning(RMIServiceImpl.java:717)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:309)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:183)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)

at org.springframework.remoting.support.RemoteInvocationTraceInterceptor.invoke(RemoteInvocationTraceInterceptor.java:77)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)

at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy165.getDatastoresForVMCloning(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at org.springframework.remoting.support.RemoteInvocation.invoke(RemoteInvocation.java:205)

at org.springframework.remoting.support.DefaultRemoteInvocationExecutor.invoke(DefaultRemoteInvocationExecutor.java:38)

at org.springframework.remoting.support.RemoteInvocationBasedExporter.invoke(RemoteInvocationBasedExporter.java:78)

at org.springframework.remoting.support.RemoteInvocationBasedExporter.invokeAndCreateResult(RemoteInvocationBasedExporter.java:114)

at org.springframework.remoting.httpinvoker.HttpInvokerServiceExporter.handleRequest(HttpInvokerServiceExporter.java:73)

at org.springframework.web.context.support.HttpRequestHandlerServlet.service(HttpRequestHandlerServlet.java:67)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:848)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:598)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1367)

at com.netapp.nvpf.container.vsphere.request.VSphereClientRequestContextFilter.doFilterInternal(VSphereClientRequestContextFilter.java:47)

at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1338)

at org.springframework.web.filter.RequestContextFilter.doFilterInternal(RequestContextFilter.java:83)

at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1338)

at com.netapp.nvpf.container.util.GWTCacheFilter.doFilter(GWTCacheFilter.java:55)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:484)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119)

at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:524)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:233)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1065)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:413)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:192)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:999)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:250)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:149)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:111)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:350)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection.handleRequest(AbstractHttpConnection.java:454)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.BlockingHttpConnection.handleRequest(BlockingHttpConnection.java:47)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection.content(AbstractHttpConnection.java:900)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractHttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(AbstractHttpConnection.java:954)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:851)

at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:230)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.BlockingHttpConnection.handle(BlockingHttpConnection.java:66)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.bio.SocketConnector$ConnectorEndPoint.run(SocketConnector.java:254)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.ssl.SslSocketConnector$SslConnectorEndPoint.run(SslSocketConnector.java:665)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:603)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:538)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

oweinmann

Hi,

we had the same issue. It is a bug in VSC 5.0. We were given a beta version of VSC 5.0 that fixes this issue. If it is urgent, I recommend you contact NetApp Support. The version is:

VSC-5-0-3281-0

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

oweinmann

Hi,

we had the same issue. It is a bug in VSC 5.0. We were given a beta version of VSC 5.0 that fixes this issue. If it is urgent, I recommend you contact NetApp Support. The version is:

VSC-5-0-3281-0

roboshiro

Thank you. Did they post this somewhere for you or is there a community?

oweinmann

Hey, did the beta actually fix it?

roboshiro

I have yet to obtain a copy, do you know when they are releasing an update to 5.0?

This is the error I am seeing in the nvpf.log, is this the same error you were seeing? Do you know of anywhere I can send my log file to for analysis?

<body><p>I have yet to obtain a copy. I caught this error in in the nvpf.log. Was it the same error you were seeing?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>[2014-07-31 13:37:58,514] [qtp271907910-28] [DEBUG] <strong>Target method failed for RemoteInvocation: method name 'getDatastoresForVMCloning'; parameter types [java.lang.String,</strong> java.lang.String, com.netapp.nvpf.api.model.virtualmachine.cloning.InventoryItem, com.netapp.nvpf.api.model.virtualmachine.cloning.InventoryItem]</p>

<p>java.lang.NullPointerException</p>

<p>               at com.netapp.kamino.server.ServerServiceImpl.getDataStores(ServerServiceImpl.java:1375)</p>

<p>               at com.netapp.kamino.server.ServerServiceImpl.getDataStores(ServerServiceImpl.java:1376)</p>

<p>               at com.netapp.kamino.server.ServerServiceImpl.updateDatastores(ServerServiceImpl.java:1336)</p>

<p>               at com.netapp.kamino.server.rmi.virtualmachine.service.VirtualMachineCloningService.getUsableDatastores(VirtualMachineCloningService.java:543)</p>

<p>               at com.netapp.kamino.server.rmi.ServerServiceAdapter.getDatastoresForVMCloning(ServerServiceAdapter.java:1305)</p>

<p>               at com.netapp.kamino.server.rmi.RMIServiceImpl.getDatastoresForVMCloning(RMIServiceImpl.java:717)</p>

<p>               at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)</p>

<p>               at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)</p>

<p>               at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)</p>

<p>               at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)</p>

<p>               at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:309)</p>

<p>               at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:183)</p>

<p>               at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)</p>

<p>               at org.springframework.remoting.support.RemoteInvocationTraceInterceptor.invoke(RemoteInvocationTraceInterceptor.java:77)</p>

<p>               at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)</p>

<p>               at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)</p>

<p>               at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy167.getDatastoresForVMCloning(Unknown Source)</p>

<p>               at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)</p>

<p>               at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)</p>

<p>               at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)</p>

<p>               at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)</p>

<p>               at org.springframework.remoting.support.RemoteInvocation.invoke(RemoteInvocation.java:205)</p>

<p>               at org.springframework.remoting.support.DefaultRemoteInvocationExecutor.invoke(DefaultRemoteInvocationExecutor.java:38)</p>

<p>               at org.springframework.remoting.support.RemoteInvocationBasedExporter.invoke(RemoteInvocationBasedExporter.java:78)</p>

<p>               at org.springframework.remoting.support.RemoteInvocationBasedExporter.invokeAndCreateResult(RemoteInvocationBasedExporter.java:114)</p>

<p>               at org.springframework.remoting.httpinvoker.HttpInvokerServiceExporter.handleRequest(HttpInvokerServiceExporter.java:73)</p>

<p>               at org.springframework.web.context.support.HttpRequestHandlerServlet.service(HttpRequestHandlerServlet.java:67)</p>

<p>               at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:848)</p>

<p>               at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:598)</p>

<p>               at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1367)</p>

<p> </p></body>

oweinmann

I send you a private message with a DL link of the version that was provided to use by NetApp, did you try that? This should fix the error.

txfichter

I am experience the exact same issue and cannot fix it myself. Any chance I could get that DL as well? Really wish they would rush this patch.

AndyKruesi

Look here for the patch http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/vsc_win/5.0P1/

kind regards

andy

nsrushi46

is the patches have fixes of my issue (second time clone only allow 126 VM's) 

BR<

Rushi.

Sederik

Greetings!

We are experiencing the same error with freshly installed vSphere 5.5 & VSC 5.0. Can somebody give a link for a fixed VSC installation? I'd be very thankful.

nsrushi46

Hi 

i got different errors while doing Rapid clone, 

1) My first clone on any VM will allow me multiple clones (500 VM's clone the test i did )

2) same VM doing another time Rapid clone restricted only 126 and above 127 is getting error that doens't allow.

Any idea why this silly restriciton of second time clone the same one earlier cloned more than 300 vm's.

Pelase suggest or else i will need to open a case with NetApp.

BR.

Dr.Rushi.

Public