After building a new setup that run 6.0, I am seeing 2 issues that seem to either deal with permissions or something else and can't seem to find a solution out there for them:
1. It seems that whenever I try to provision a vvol, it throws a permissions issue (below) and I can't see anything in the docs about any special permissions needed or how to correct this - thoughts? This seems like it shouldn't be hampered by permissions. I have tried to login locally, with domain admin creds, and with the SSO login - none seem to work:
2. In an attempt to try and unregister/re-register the VP, I get the following error which doesn't seem correct since VSC is running, operational, and allowed me to register it in the first place - not sure if there is a way to unregister manually or fix this? Seems like an odd issue given the serivce is running and I can operate within VSC:
Curious if others have hit these issues trying to test and utilize vvols with vcenter 6.0?
You may want to have a look at the VVols Cookbook, located here, which has a section near the end on troubleshooting. In particular, if you haven't already, try rebooting vCenter...or at a minimum restart the SPS service.
If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Thanks Andrew. I had the 1.4 version of that cookbook, so just took a look at the 1.6 version. I have already tried to reboot and restart those processes (amongst others) to no avail. I could try the manual way of unregistering the VP as described in the guide, but I'm not really sure that is my issue to be honest. Is there a specific setup that is required for permissions with VSC?
I didn't have this issue last time and I installed it the same way - that's why I ask. I might just try to uninstall all of VSC and re-install. What usually happens there is that is remembers the VP registration from having done this before...which I would suspect is OK in this case. The VP is up and running and I can log into it and run commands and I am using the same VP in another cluster just fine.
If you have any other thoughts, let me know. I will try to uninstall and re-install it and let you know. thanks.
An uninstall/reinstall didn't fix the issue. I have tried the storage array discover with and without TLS, discovered just the SVM I am trying to access, and still haven't had any luck past that permissions issue above. I can't find any hits on that error out there so wasnt' sure if you had any knowledge on what specific permissions it is looking for that could be checked/granted to get past that error....it seems like it should be easy to just grant permissions and get around that error...but not sure if I am trivializing it too much or not 🙂
Is your VP OVA only registered to this vcenter setup? the VASA Provider can only be registered to a single vcentner as a start.
Since the part you are missing is with the VSC console, it almost sounds like your VP OVA still needs to be registered with vsphere. I did get mine fixed by gutting the VASA setup and re-deploying fro scratch. There is a section in the cookbook I used to gut the VP since it wasn't working through the VSC (very buggy I agree):
How to unregister VASA VP when VSC thinks it is registered but menus don’t show up 1. Open the vSphere Managed Object Browser by pointing your web browser to https://your_vc_server/mob/?moid=ExtensionManager. 2. Click (more…) to see all registered extensions. 3. Look for extensionList["com.netapp.vasa.webclient"] Extension extensionList["com.netapp.vasa.vvol.webclient"] Extension 4. Click UnregisterExtension 5. Enter com.netapp.vasa.vvol.webclient 6. Click Invoke Method. 7. Repeat steps 4 through 6 for the com.netapp.vasa.webclient extension. Note: Later versions of the VP only have one extension. 8. You can now reregister the VP using VSC Configuration Register/Unregister VASA Vendor Provider. 9. On the vCenter server, restart vmware-sps and vsphere-client services. 10. Log out of vSphere Web Client and log back in again.
Once I did that and deleted the OVA and re-deployed (I picked another IP as well), upon following the same steps again, it worked better. In my initial issue, I had the VP registered to 2 of my virtual environments which worked and then stopped working over time and after opening a case with NetApp, I was told that it is unsupported to have a VP registered to anything more than one vcenter.