VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC support for the SRM photon based appliance

CASSEAU33

Simply put - does the VSC support the SRM appliance (photon based appliance that was relesed a while back)? Or would it be ebst to stick with windows for a new deployment?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

konnerth

Sorry, I tried to post this in the other thread where you posed this:

We are working on plans to support the SRM Photon OS appliance with a future SRA release.

---Karl

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AlexDawson

Hi there!

The VASA Provider, SRA and VSC are now a unified appliance, available from https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/vsc_win/9.6/download.shtml

Hope this helps!

CASSEAU33

Thanks ! However I already knew that. My inquiry was more around whether the VSC supports the SRM appliance (as opposed to the windows isntallable.)

AlexDawson

Oh! sorry for the misunderstanding there - you mean the one VMWare provides. @konnerth  has the news there then!

konnerth

Sorry, I tried to post this in the other thread where you posed this:

We are working on plans to support the SRM Photon OS appliance with a future SRA release.

---Karl

illumitltd

Hi, 

I have just hit this very issue in a customer enviornment. The IMT showed that SRA is supported with SRM 8.2, but made *no note* that the VMware SRM appliance is not supported. I am now having to uninstall SRM to start again with Windows SRM servers 😞

Can you please update the IMT to add a note that the SRM photon appliance is not supported?

The VSC, VASA Provider, and SRA 9.6 Documentation Center also offered no clear guidance in this regard (i.e. the need to install the SRA on an SRM server as well as enabling on VCSA) - it would be useful if it more clearly referenced the need for that step and that the SRM photon appliance is not supported. 

It might also be useful to mention it in the release notes for the virtual appliance for VSC, VASA Provider, and SRA (known limitations). 

I realise that some of these suggestions might not immediately seem appropriate, but I somehow managed to get to the point where I had deployed the photon SRM appliances without seeing even a hint that these are not supported with the SRA anywhere in the IMT or NetApp documentation......... apologies if I missed it somewhere obvious!

Many Thanks. 

konnerth

I am sorry about that!  I agree, and have passed that feedback along to our documentation and IMT contacts.

---Karl

KSi

Same thing happened here.  

Can this post be updated once the SRA is released?

konnerth

The Virtual Appliance update including SRM Appliance support is on track for posting at the end of February.

---Karl

amayacitta

We just hit the same issue here too, will keep an eye out for the new release. The documentation for the photon OS suggests the SRA adapter will be a tar.gz file 🙂 I was wondering what I would do with the MSI file lol

jcolonfzenpr

NetApp VSC 9.7 released

SRA support for Site Recovery Manager Appliance
Starting with the 8.2 release of SRM, VMware provides SRM as a Photon OS-based appliance that can be easily deployed into vCenter Server. The 9.7 release of the virtual appliance for VSC, VASA Provider, and SRA is enhanced to support both the SRM Appliance as well as Windows based SRM.

Jonathan Colón | Blog | Linkedin
Public