VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC upgrade

acistmedical

I have VSC 1.0, RCU 3 and SMVI 2.0.

I want to install VSC 2.0 but it tells me that i have these old versions and i do have to uninstall them before i do an upgrade.

So if i have to uninstall all 3 of them, is there any specific order i have to do so?

Do i have to disable them in vCenter first?

Will all settings be transferred to the new version?

Is there a nice upgrade guide, doc somewhere?

any best practices?

Does VSC2.0 includes SMVI 2.0 or newer one?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

dbkelly

The "upgrade" process is covered in the VSC 2.0 Installation and Administration Guide (page 21). 

In short, all three stand-alone plugins need to be uninstalled first.   The order does not matter.   The IAG has a section about saving your old data.

acistmedical

Thanks

The documentation regarding upgrade is pretty short thou, not detailed enough.

Also, I could not find any info in IAG about saving old data.

dbkelly

Since you have already attempted to install VSC 2.0, the VSC 1.0 data file will automatically be saved when it is un-registered and uninstalled.   There is no saved data for RCU, and the instructions for saving the SMVI data is listed in the IAG

When you uninstall a previous version of SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure (SMVI) prior to installing Virtual Storage Console 2.0, you do not have to save the backup metadata prior to migrating the backup metadata by copying the contents installed in the C:\Program Files\NetApp \SMVI\server\repository folder into the C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi \server\repository folder.

After you finish copying the backup metadata, you must copy the contents of the credential file from the C:\Program Files\NetApp\SMVI\server\etc\cred folder into the C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi\server\etc\cred folder.

Hope this helps.

amritad

For SMVI there is a small correction.

In the IAG for VSC 2.0 the “not” is a typo. You will have to save the backup metadata prior to upgrade. We will be making changes to the IAG to reflect this.

After you finish

When you uninstall a previous version of SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure (SMVI) prior to

installing Virtual Storage Console 2.0, you do not have to save the backup metadata prior to

migrating the backup metadata by copying the contents installed in the C:\Program Files\NetApp

\SMVI\server\repository folder into the C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi

\server\repository folder.

After you finish copying the backup metadata, you must copy the contents of the credential file from

the C:\Program Files\NetApp\SMVI\server\etc\cred folder into the C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual

Storage Console\smvi\server\etc\cred folder.

Regards

Amrita

acistmedical

So i uninstalled VSC1, RCU3 and SMVI 2.

Installed VSC 2, copied all necessary SMVI files.

All looks good and works the way it suppose to.

BUT, in the plugin window on vVenter im getting the attached error message, how can i fix this now.?

acistmedical

any ideas on that?

dbkelly

It looks like VSC 1.0 was not unregistered before you uninstalled it.   Unfortunately, since the service that unregisters VSC is uninstalled, VSC 1.0 needs to be re-installed in order to unregister the plugin with your vCenter Server.   Since 1.0 and 2.0 install to the same directory, it might be a good idea to run through the 2.0 installation again once 1.0 is completely removed.

acistmedical

Is there a way to manually unregister it.

because if i have to install 1.0 in order to unregister it i have to uninstall 2.0, reinstall 1.0, uninstall 1.0 and reinstall 2.0

plus god know what SMVI pieces will break during this proccess since 1.0 doesnt have smvi.

it would be much easier to unregister it manually, BTW, which one is the working VSC 2.0  plugin, (on my screenshot)

dbkelly

Unfortunately, no there is not. VMware does not provide any tools to register/unregister a plugin directly on the vCenter Server.   VSC 1.0 must be installed to unregister.   2.0 shouldn't need to uninstalled if you want to save a step.  I'm mainly concerned about the registry keys getting removed when 1.0 is uninstalled.   But, you're right, it's probably better to remove everything, then install 2.0 fresh.

acistmedical

I did it, here is the manual plug-in unregister process. Worked great for me, took 3 min and save all kinds of work

"You would have to go into the MOB to do it

http://ip of vc server/mob

Click on content, then on Extention manager, find the extention in your list and then click on unregister Extention , Put the extention name in from previous screen, click Invole Method and Viola!"

i found it on VMWare forums

acistmedical

dbkelly

Very cool, thanks.

martien

acistmedical,

Thanks for the post, this is exactly the same issue i was experiencing and spent countless hours installing and uninstalling without success. I read and followed your post and it worked perfectly.

all the best!

John 

BrendonHiggins

Thanks for the great post, answers many of my questions which are left after reading the VSC install guide.

Did you have to remove all of your old SMVI created snapshots after VSC was installed or did VSC just take over the role of SMVI after the post VSC install file copying described in the IAG?

Thanks

Bren

amritad

Hi

In the IAG for VSC 2.0 the “not” is a typo. You will have to save the backup metadata prior to upgrade. We will be making changes to the IAG to reflect this. sorry about this. Once you follow the steps you will be able to see all your old snapshots in the home view of vcenter under the backup tab.

After you finish

When you uninstall a previous version of SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure (SMVI) prior to

installing Virtual Storage Console 2.0, you do not have to save the backup metadata prior to

migrating the backup metadata by copying the contents installed in the C:\Program Files\NetApp

\SMVI\server\repository folder into the C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi

\server\repository folder.

After you finish copying the backup metadata, you must copy the contents of the credential file from

the C:\Program Files\NetApp\SMVI\server\etc\cred folder into the C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual

Storage Console\smvi\server\etc\cred folder.

Regards

Amrita

Public