VMware Solutions Discussions

Why NFS?

amiller_1

So, there's definitely a lot of discussion around using NFS in virtualization scenarios. Although about 1.5 years old, this blog post is still very relevant.

http://viroptics.pancamo.com/2007/11/why-vmware-over-netapp-nfs.html

Given some recent discussion with a moderator (not sure if I should name names?), I just wanted to highlight that post given I've found it pretty useful -- useful enough I wrote up my own summary to have handy whenever I get into NFS discussions with customers -- here's my summary as well (full credit goes to the post above but thought I'd put it here as well in case helpful for anyone).

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ranking these in order of importance....

• Deduplication - possible to use deduplicated space savings with LUNs but MUCH more complicated (have to mess with fractional reserve, LUN thin provisioning, etc. -- possible to get caught overprovisioning and have real issues)
  • VMware Datastore sizing -- easy datastore growth (possible with VMFS) and shrinking (not possible with VMFS)
  • Larger datastores - no need to keep datastores smaller like with VMFS - up to 16 TB
  • Snapshots - can retrieve individual vmdk's from snapshots and/or mount vmdk's from snapshots for single file restore
  • SMVI - main benefit is ability to do faster VM restores (uses SnapRestore rather than LUN clone so can instantly restore a single VM to any previous snapshot)
  • VMDK Thin Provisioning
  • Ease of addition - somewhat easier than LUNs/VMFS
  • VMFS/RDMs - no need to deal with them
  • Single-file FlexClone (future feature) - can clone a vmdk instantly for fast provisioning
  • No single disk I/O queue as with iSCSI/FC so performance limitations are purely governed by pipe size and disk array size.
  • Faster failover to SnapMirror remote copies (less steps plus faster steps) - no need to do LUN resignaturing
  • ESX server I/O is small block and extremely random meaning that bandwidth is less important (i.e. GigE works well).
  • Can dump individual VM's via NDMP
  • No FC zoning, switch cost, HBA's, compatibility matrices, or LUN IDs
21 REPLIES 21

amiller_1

And....I meant to say that I'd be very curious if anyone has more to add to that list.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public