VMware Solutions Discussions

esx host utilities HBA not installed

hochschuleda

Hi,

i just tried to install latest Host Utilities 5.2.1 on my DL 380 G7 with vsphere 4.1 like i did with all my other esx. since i wanted to enable alua on the host i needed the host utilities. installation fails with HBA not installed. But on the other hand, i can use the HBAs fine in vsphere Client and see all my LUNs. what could be the problem or how do i get ALUA to work ?

Additional info: Netapp Virtual Storage Console does not set the recommendet settings if i use the GUI, any idea if that has something to do with it ?

3 REPLIES 3

jacint_juhasz

Hi,

I don't think you need host utilites to use ALUA today. How do you mean VSC does not do the setting? Did you provision a datastore with VSC? If I check the TR-3749 (vSphere best practices document) it says:

"For iSCSI, FC, and FCoE datastores, the VSC handles storage access control by creating initiator groups, enables ALUA, applies LUN masking, applies path selection policies, and formats the LUN with VMFS."

cheers,

Jacint

--

http://tt.yyaazz.hu

hochschuleda

Basically i went through this: http://blogs.netapp.com/storage_nuts_n_bolts/2009/08/vsphere-upgrading-from-non-alua-to-alua.html

I had the 5.1 Utils installed on all ESX before without problems. I enabled ALUA on my igroups, then applied

esxcli nmp satp setdefaultpsp --satp VMW_SATP_ALUA 
 --psp VMW_PSP_RR
and then it was visible in vcenter that its using RR via ALUA. 

now on the new host utils those 2 HBAs are "not installed" according to the host utils, even if they are working fine BUT RR/ALUA is not working for these 2 hosts.

with VSC does not do the setting i mean: ESX hosts show me Alerts on Adapter Settings and MPIO, like QFullSampleSize 0 (Recommended 32) and if i wanna use VSC to "right mouse click -> Set recommended values" nothing happens, it stays on Alert

hochschuleda
Zusatzinfo:
Installing VMware(R) ESX Host Utilities 5.2.1........................
   Removing existing installation....................................DONE
   Unpacking files to /opt/netapp/santools...........................DONE
   Enabling the ESX Host Utilities firewall ports....................DONE
   Creating symbolic link for sanlun.................................DONE
   Creating symbolic link for config_nfs.............................DONE
   Creating symbolic link for config_hba.............................DONE
   Creating symbolic link for config_mpath...........................DONE
   Creating symbolic links for MAN pages.............................DONE
   Checking for installed HBAs.......................................NOT INSTALLED
HP StorageWorks 41B PCIe 4Gb Fibre Channel Single Port Host Bus Adapter (AP767A)
They seem to work fine in 4.1 vCenter tho.
Public