VMware Solutions Discussions

mbralign with nfs copyoffload: "--sparse" option not working, all aligned vmdk's are thick

itcambridge

We are in the middle of a VMDK alignment project after P2V'ing a lot of legacy W2K and W2K3 physical servers. I've been using mbralign 5.2.1 on an ESX 4.1 server with all datastores mounted via NFS from a NetApp 3240.

I was very interested in the NFS CopyOffLoad capabilities of the mbralign tool and got it working for the most part, however the nfs copyoffload feature seems to ignore the "--sparse" command line option. Is this normal operation or broken?

If I skip the copyoffload option and just go right to the NFS datastore and manually run mbralign with the --sparse option, it works as I'd expect it to, however this is a much slower process without the copyoffload feature.

Is there anyway to engage the nfs copyoffload feature and keep the vmdk files thin with the "--sparse" option?

2 REPLIES 2

itcambridge

47 views and nothing? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

peluso

Hi - I've forwarded along to the right team and will work on getting a response shortly. Apologies for the delay.  Working on it...

Terri

Thanks so much!
Terri Peluso
Senior Community Program Manager
Public