Community maintenance is complete. Thank you for your patience!

VMware Solutions Discussions

mbralign with nfs copyoffload: "--sparse" option not working, all aligned vmdk's are thick

itcambridge

We are in the middle of a VMDK alignment project after P2V'ing a lot of legacy W2K and W2K3 physical servers. I've been using mbralign 5.2.1 on an ESX 4.1 server with all datastores mounted via NFS from a NetApp 3240.

I was very interested in the NFS CopyOffLoad capabilities of the mbralign tool and got it working for the most part, however the nfs copyoffload feature seems to ignore the "--sparse" command line option. Is this normal operation or broken?

If I skip the copyoffload option and just go right to the NFS datastore and manually run mbralign with the --sparse option, it works as I'd expect it to, however this is a much slower process without the copyoffload feature.

Is there anyway to engage the nfs copyoffload feature and keep the vmdk files thin with the "--sparse" option?

2 REPLIES 2

itcambridge

47 views and nothing? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

peluso

Hi - I've forwarded along to the right team and will work on getting a response shortly. Apologies for the delay.  Working on it...

Terri

Thanks so much!
Terri Peluso
Senior Community Program Manager
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public