Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Installing second Java version on OCI server

GOOSSE1962

I developed a Java program to update OCI with CMDB data using Java 1.6 on a PC. I moved to to the OCI server to run it on a schedule there, but the installed Java is 1.5. After recompiling for 1.5, the program failes on the OCI API calls as being an unsupported version of Java.

I want to install Java 1.6 along side of 1.5. Are the any issues with doing this?

The OCI version is 6.4.1

Thank you in advance for any sugestions.

4 REPLIES 4

ostiguy

OCI 6.4.x uses Java 6 internally. The OCI client will not work with Java 5.x.

The Java install registered with the user profile you are logged into the server as was not necessarily the one someone installed to use OCI.

The OCI desktop shortcuts on the server are hardcoded to use the Java 6 install within the OCI install path, not the

Java registered with the OS / web browser, so if you are launching the OCI client on the server successfully, all I can think is that you are doing so via the shortcut.

I don't know why Java 5 is installed on the server, but removing it should not impact OCI

Matt

GOOSSE1962

To clearify. I am not using the client on the server. I am running a stand alone Java program (from the command prompt). Java wasn't in the path, so I put the only one I saw in it.

In the install path for OCI I found two Java folders, one was for 64bit. neither has the version in the name. But when I ran one of them it does give the version I need.

So if I understand you correctly, I can just put either of those in the path and it will work. I will test it Monday.

Thank you for you help.

dmilliro

Hi Jonathan,

That should work. I think Matt was also touching on the fact that we have no dependencies on Java 5 for OCI 6.4.1 so it can probably be removed without any negative impact. That would probably eliminate any confusion with the versions.

Dan

Please excuse any grammar or spelling errors...this was sent from a mobile device.

GOOSSE1962

It worked.

I think the Java 5 was installed by the server team when it was deployed. It it the company standard for most of the employee services. I won't remove it because it might be used for something else by the server team for maintaining it.

Thank you for the help. It was simpler than doing an install

Public