General Discussion

Move From 7-Mode To Clustered Data ONTAP

ansarvma

We are having Netapp FAS8040 with OS ONTAP 8.2.3 7-mode storage in our environment with storage replication adpater 2.1 to connect with VMware Site recovery Manager 6.0 solution.  VMware team wants to upgrade the SRM version to 6.5 or later, however when i checked the IMT i could see that the we are using latest SRA version which supports 8.2.3 7 mode.

- What is the latest 7-mode version, which support SRM 6.5 or later

- DO we need to migrate to Netapp CLustered ONTAP to support SRM 6.5 or later

Can anyone help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

To add, there's no direct upgrade from 7 to ONTAP (cluster mode) .   You will need to vacate the system.  and re-initialize  it with ONTAP 9.1 or higher.    

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ontapforrum

Hi,

I checked the Interoperability matrix for your query.

SRM 6.0 & 6.1 only supports = 7-mode 8.2.x

For SRM 6.5 = ONTAP 9.1 onwards is required.

I think the recommended advise would be to : Move/Upgrade from 7-mode to ONTAP/cDOT. As you may be aware 7-mode OS code development is stopped, and full support will end 31-Dec-2020. It will be risk taking to run your enterprise application on 7-mode OS. Your Filer Model FAS8040 is good enough to run cDOT code so I guess it's just a matter of putting up a plan and go for  ONTAP 9.x

Thanks!

SpindleNinja

To add, there's no direct upgrade from 7 to ONTAP (cluster mode) .   You will need to vacate the system.  and re-initialize  it with ONTAP 9.1 or higher.    

ansarvma

Thanks for your detailed response. 

Adding to my question, we are having a DR site with FAS2554 and LUNs are getting replicating through snapmirror. we need to upgrade the same to CDOT along with DC (FAS8020). I would like to know whether the Clustered ONTAP 9 or later will support for FAS2554?

Where can i find the support Matrix?

Thanks

SpindleNinja

yes it will. 

hwu.netapp.com is the go to place for things like that. 

Public