General Discussion

NetApp Warranty, Ships 10K drives as replacements for 15K; invoice says i've received a 15K?

COSNA2

So the other day, we received a replacement drive for our NetApp array as part of our warranty service.

The invoice states that we have received a 600GB 15K SAS replacement disk.

Problem is, the drive on the label indicates a 10K disk.

Keep in mind that the faulty drive is a 450GB 15K 3.5" drive while the warranty replacement is a 600GB 10K 2.5" drive according to the label.

What is going on NetApp? Why are we getting slower drives in the box than what the invoice states?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

Hi there,

450GB 15K drives are no longer being manufactured, and we are unable to source new drives.

We have qualified certain 10K 2.5 inch drives as viable replacements. We are in effect "short stroking" the drives - rotational latency and seek time for 2.5 inch 10K drives is comparible to 15K 3.5 inch drives, so there should not be an appreciable performance difference.

This is covered in this KB article - https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1000219/loc/en_US#__highlight

Please let us know if you have any further questions!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

patrickv

Hello Cosna,

This is of course unfortunate to hear.

Could you provide me your email address, the case- and part request number via private message? 

I will try to find out what happened.

Thanks,

Patrick von Bredow

AlexDawson

Hi there,

450GB 15K drives are no longer being manufactured, and we are unable to source new drives.

We have qualified certain 10K 2.5 inch drives as viable replacements. We are in effect "short stroking" the drives - rotational latency and seek time for 2.5 inch 10K drives is comparible to 15K 3.5 inch drives, so there should not be an appreciable performance difference.

This is covered in this KB article - https://kb.netapp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1000219/loc/en_US#__highlight

Please let us know if you have any further questions!

COSNA2

Yeah, the issue is not what you describe. The issue is you are sending 10K drives while the invoice states we received a 15K drive. Why not correct your invoices to reflect the actual product being received by the customer?

AlexDawson

Hi! Can you send me a scan or a photo of the document you are concerned about and I will see what I can do? Either via message or email to Alex. dawson@netapp . Com -

thanks!

Public