Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

How to see "Partner Ops" stats by LUN in PowerShell

PADMANTECH

Hello Good People,

I'm trying to write a PowerShell script which will show me the LUN statistics for "Partner Ops" which is very helpful in finding VMware Data stores that are not going through the optimal path. I am looking  for a direct PowerShell replacement for "lun stats -o" but don't want to use the cmdlet "Invoke-NaSsh" as we only use domain based usernames.

Any pointers most welcome.

Thanks in Advance.

-Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

beam

Take a look at the cmdlets in the perf category:

PS C:\> Get-NaHelp -Category perf

Name                                Category        Api

----                                --------        ---

Get-NaPerfCounter                   perf            {perf-object-counter-list-info}

Get-NaPerfData                      perf            {perf-object-get-instances-iter-start, perf-object-get-instances...

Get-NaPerfInstance                  perf            {perf-object-instance-list-info-iter-start, perf-object-instance...

Get-NaPerfObject                    perf            {perf-object-list-info}

Invoke-NaSysstat                    perf            {perf-object-get-instances}

I think what you are looking for is the scsi_partner_ops counter for the lun object.  The instance name for LUNs is in the form <lun-path>-<lun-serial-number>.  You can construct this yourself, or use "Get-NaPerfInstance lun" to see a listing of LUN instances.  In order to get an accurate reading, you'll need to collect the counter data, wait a few seconds, collect the counter data again, then calculate the delta.  For example:

$lunPath = "/vol/vol1/lun1"

$instanceName = "{0}-{1}" -f $lunPath, (Get-NaLun $lunPath).SerialNumber

$perf1 = Get-NaPerfData -Name lun -Instance $instanceName -Counter scsi_partner_ops

Sleep -Seconds 5

$perf2 = Get-NaPerfData -Name lun -Instance $instanceName -Counter scsi_partner_ops

New-Object PSObject -Property @{ Name=$lunPath; PartnerOps = ($perf2.Counters[0].Value - $perf1.Counters[0].Value) / ($perf2.Timestamp - $perf1.Timestamp) }

-Steven

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

beam

Take a look at the cmdlets in the perf category:

PS C:\> Get-NaHelp -Category perf

Name                                Category        Api

----                                --------        ---

Get-NaPerfCounter                   perf            {perf-object-counter-list-info}

Get-NaPerfData                      perf            {perf-object-get-instances-iter-start, perf-object-get-instances...

Get-NaPerfInstance                  perf            {perf-object-instance-list-info-iter-start, perf-object-instance...

Get-NaPerfObject                    perf            {perf-object-list-info}

Invoke-NaSysstat                    perf            {perf-object-get-instances}

I think what you are looking for is the scsi_partner_ops counter for the lun object.  The instance name for LUNs is in the form <lun-path>-<lun-serial-number>.  You can construct this yourself, or use "Get-NaPerfInstance lun" to see a listing of LUN instances.  In order to get an accurate reading, you'll need to collect the counter data, wait a few seconds, collect the counter data again, then calculate the delta.  For example:

$lunPath = "/vol/vol1/lun1"

$instanceName = "{0}-{1}" -f $lunPath, (Get-NaLun $lunPath).SerialNumber

$perf1 = Get-NaPerfData -Name lun -Instance $instanceName -Counter scsi_partner_ops

Sleep -Seconds 5

$perf2 = Get-NaPerfData -Name lun -Instance $instanceName -Counter scsi_partner_ops

New-Object PSObject -Property @{ Name=$lunPath; PartnerOps = ($perf2.Counters[0].Value - $perf1.Counters[0].Value) / ($perf2.Timestamp - $perf1.Timestamp) }

-Steven

JGPSHNTAP

Beam's hit it on the head as usual.

I have a better idea.. 10g NFS for ESX 🙂

JSHACHER11

Guys,

Can I use this thread for some learning experience?

1. How do you find the categories?

2. What does this do >>>  "{0}-{1}"

3. What is a LUN instance? I can see that a processor is an instance. Is a NIC also an instance?

4. Can I get a per volume reallocation measurement?

Cheers

Joel

beam

Hi Joel,

I'll take a stab at answering your questions.

1)  Get-NaHelp -CategoryList

2)          This is a format string.  See this post for more information on format strings and the PowerShell format operator (-f):  http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2010/02/09/hey-scripting-guy-february-9-2010.aspx

3)          In this context, a LUN instance is an instance of the lun perf object.  Typically, there is one lun perf object instance per LUN on the system.  Get-NaPerfObject lists all of the available perf objects.  Get-NaPerfInstance lists all the available instances of a given perf object.  Get-NaPerfCounter lists all of the available counters of a given perf object.  And finally, Get-NaPerfData gets counter values for a given instance of a given perf object.

4)          I'm not sure on this one.  You can look through the counters for the volume perf object, but I didn't see anything that stood out to me.

-Steven

JSHACHER11

thanks

Public