Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

How to see "Partner Ops" stats by LUN in PowerShell

PADMANTECH

Hello Good People,

I'm trying to write a PowerShell script which will show me the LUN statistics for "Partner Ops" which is very helpful in finding VMware Data stores that are not going through the optimal path. I am looking  for a direct PowerShell replacement for "lun stats -o" but don't want to use the cmdlet "Invoke-NaSsh" as we only use domain based usernames.

Any pointers most welcome.

Thanks in Advance.

-Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

beam

Take a look at the cmdlets in the perf category:

PS C:\> Get-NaHelp -Category perf

Name                                Category        Api

----                                --------        ---

Get-NaPerfCounter                   perf            {perf-object-counter-list-info}

Get-NaPerfData                      perf            {perf-object-get-instances-iter-start, perf-object-get-instances...

Get-NaPerfInstance                  perf            {perf-object-instance-list-info-iter-start, perf-object-instance...

Get-NaPerfObject                    perf            {perf-object-list-info}

Invoke-NaSysstat                    perf            {perf-object-get-instances}

I think what you are looking for is the scsi_partner_ops counter for the lun object.  The instance name for LUNs is in the form <lun-path>-<lun-serial-number>.  You can construct this yourself, or use "Get-NaPerfInstance lun" to see a listing of LUN instances.  In order to get an accurate reading, you'll need to collect the counter data, wait a few seconds, collect the counter data again, then calculate the delta.  For example:

$lunPath = "/vol/vol1/lun1"

$instanceName = "{0}-{1}" -f $lunPath, (Get-NaLun $lunPath).SerialNumber

$perf1 = Get-NaPerfData -Name lun -Instance $instanceName -Counter scsi_partner_ops

Sleep -Seconds 5

$perf2 = Get-NaPerfData -Name lun -Instance $instanceName -Counter scsi_partner_ops

New-Object PSObject -Property @{ Name=$lunPath; PartnerOps = ($perf2.Counters[0].Value - $perf1.Counters[0].Value) / ($perf2.Timestamp - $perf1.Timestamp) }

-Steven

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

beam

Take a look at the cmdlets in the perf category:

PS C:\> Get-NaHelp -Category perf

Name                                Category        Api

----                                --------        ---

Get-NaPerfCounter                   perf            {perf-object-counter-list-info}

Get-NaPerfData                      perf            {perf-object-get-instances-iter-start, perf-object-get-instances...

Get-NaPerfInstance                  perf            {perf-object-instance-list-info-iter-start, perf-object-instance...

Get-NaPerfObject                    perf            {perf-object-list-info}

Invoke-NaSysstat                    perf            {perf-object-get-instances}

I think what you are looking for is the scsi_partner_ops counter for the lun object.  The instance name for LUNs is in the form <lun-path>-<lun-serial-number>.  You can construct this yourself, or use "Get-NaPerfInstance lun" to see a listing of LUN instances.  In order to get an accurate reading, you'll need to collect the counter data, wait a few seconds, collect the counter data again, then calculate the delta.  For example:

$lunPath = "/vol/vol1/lun1"

$instanceName = "{0}-{1}" -f $lunPath, (Get-NaLun $lunPath).SerialNumber

$perf1 = Get-NaPerfData -Name lun -Instance $instanceName -Counter scsi_partner_ops

Sleep -Seconds 5

$perf2 = Get-NaPerfData -Name lun -Instance $instanceName -Counter scsi_partner_ops

New-Object PSObject -Property @{ Name=$lunPath; PartnerOps = ($perf2.Counters[0].Value - $perf1.Counters[0].Value) / ($perf2.Timestamp - $perf1.Timestamp) }

-Steven

View solution in original post

JSHACHER11

Guys,

Can I use this thread for some learning experience?

1. How do you find the categories?

2. What does this do >>>  "{0}-{1}"

3. What is a LUN instance? I can see that a processor is an instance. Is a NIC also an instance?

4. Can I get a per volume reallocation measurement?

Cheers

Joel

beam

Hi Joel,

I'll take a stab at answering your questions.

1)  Get-NaHelp -CategoryList

2)          This is a format string.  See this post for more information on format strings and the PowerShell format operator (-f):  http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2010/02/09/hey-scripting-guy-february-9-2010.aspx

3)          In this context, a LUN instance is an instance of the lun perf object.  Typically, there is one lun perf object instance per LUN on the system.  Get-NaPerfObject lists all of the available perf objects.  Get-NaPerfInstance lists all the available instances of a given perf object.  Get-NaPerfCounter lists all of the available counters of a given perf object.  And finally, Get-NaPerfData gets counter values for a given instance of a given perf object.

4)          I'm not sure on this one.  You can look through the counters for the volume perf object, but I didn't see anything that stood out to me.

-Steven

JSHACHER11

thanks

JGPSHNTAP

Beam's hit it on the head as usual.

I have a better idea.. 10g NFS for ESX 🙂

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public