ONTAP Discussions

Migrate data from a qtree into a volume

Phil109

Hello guys,

for a migration with 7MTT CBT I need to know if it is possible to move data from a qtree into a separate new volume?

Immagine the following situation:

You have a volume data0 and in this volume there are 50 qtrees which affect 50 different processes. Because I don't want to take the risk of migrating the whole 50 qtrees in one step (CBT migrates the volume and the containing qtrees) I need the possibility to move the data of one qtree into a new created volume so that I can migrate this single qtree (which is now a volume) to cDot.

Is this possible in 7-Mode? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dbenadib

Hi,

In this case QSM will not help you...

So you need to use a host based tool or ndmpcopy. If you use the ndmpcopy don't forget to use the -i to use incremental copy 😉

ndmpcopy -i /vol/voltest/test/ /vol/VolDest/

BR

David BENADIBA

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

dbenadib

Hi,

If I well understand what your are asking you want to copy a qtree to another volume and then Migrate it to CDot.

This is possible in 7Mode using QSM (Qtree SnapMirror)

The procedure will be to create a destination volume on the 7Mode machine then create q QSM relationship based on your Qtree.

After initialization, you will need to do a cuttover so you aplication will use the newly created volume. Then you will need to remove the qtree from the original location.

After cuttover you will now be able to migrate thius single Qtree to CDot 😉

BR

David BENADIBA

Phil109

Hey dbenadib,

Thank you for your answer.

The problem is I don't want to move qtree from volume to volume - I want to move the data of a qtree into a volume. So let's say the source is /vol/voldata/myqtree and it should go to /vol/voldata2

I just read about ndmpcopy - but is there any faster way?

aborzenkov

You can simply share/export /vol/voldata and move using host command content of myqtree to volume root (mv myqtree/* . or similar).

dbenadib

Hi,

In this case QSM will not help you...

So you need to use a host based tool or ndmpcopy. If you use the ndmpcopy don't forget to use the -i to use incremental copy 😉

ndmpcopy -i /vol/voltest/test/ /vol/VolDest/

BR

David BENADIBA

Public