ONTAP Discussions

Migrate volumes without losing active directory permissions

Ernesto_Rojas

Hi everyone,

I need your help. We have a FAS2240 with DS4243 (24x1TB) in this shelf we have 3 volumes, recently add a DS4246 with 12x2TB.
what I need is migrate one of those volumens (this volume contains folders with permissions of active directory) to a new agregate, without loosing permissions and snapshots to free up space in this aggregate (DS4243).

If the engineers do:
Upgrade FAS2240 with Data-ONTAP 8.1.4P1 7-mode to C-Dot 8.2.1, after do that migrate the volume with snapmirror or Datamotion?

what we will need to do to solve the problem?

Regards!!!

4 REPLIES 4

YIshikawa
It is not supported to upgrade/covert 7-mode to C-mode keeping aggregates/volumes.
You need to prepare new BOX for C-mode and migrate data using SnapMirror.

aborzenkov

In-place conversion from 7-Mode to C-Mode is not supported. In 7-Mode both snapmirror and "vol copy" will preserve on-disk NTFS ACLs and all snapshots. You may need to adjust your CIFS shares confiuration to point to new volume though.

Ernesto_Rojas

Thanks...

If I let the Netapp in DataONTAP 8.1 without upgrade, the procedure will be:

1. Create a new snapmirror relationship to transfer the volume.
2. Once completed, remove the relationship.
3. Then remove the old share and create a new share on the new volume.
4. At this point I can delete the old volume to free up aggregate space, or take any needed action on the old volume.

Then I need to reallocate the free space of the old volume to another volume: Controller 1: Vol_01 to the Controller 2: Vol_01.

¿How can i do this?

Regards

aborzenkov

1. Create a new snapmirror relationship to transfer the volume.
2. Once completed, remove the relationship.

You need to stop access from client for the duration of final snapmirror update to ensure all changes are transferred to new volume. If you can afford it, "cifs terminate" is the most simple way to do it.

3. Then remove the old share and create a new share on the new volume.

If you stopped CIFS anyway in previous step, you could try to simply rename volumes (rename old volume away and give new volume old name) then start CIFS. I think that if CIFS is not running volume names in share definitions won't be updated in this case so when CIFS start it will pick up new volume. If not, you have nothing to lose 🙂

Then I need to reallocate the free space of the old volume to another volume: Controller 1: Vol_01 to the Controller 2: Vol_01.

¿How can i do this?

You can't relocate part of aggregate. If old volume was the only one in aggregate, then destroy volume and aggregate, zero spares, unassign disks on old controller (disk assign -s unowned), assign disks on new controller. Make sure to unset disk.auto_assign option while doing it, otherwise disks may be unexpectedly assigned back.

Public