ONTAP Discussions

Paired array name mismatch using SRA 2 and SRM 5

cserpadss

Hello, I am using VMware SRM 5 and SRA 2.0 in conjunction with 3 FAS2040 filers running ONTAP 8.0.1-7. 2 filers in a primary dc, 1 in a dr dc. I am trying to pair the arrays but I keep getting the VMware error below each time I click on the Enable action.

image 1.png

The DR Site has 2 remote arrays entries while each of the primary filers have 1 entry each but I don't have the option to enable (it's grayed out) from the primary filers.

One of the primary arrays:

image 2.png

DR:

image 3.png

The problem is that the DR array wants to connect to a different name (FQDN) while the primary arrays are only recognized as HOSTNAME. Below is an excerpt from the SRM log file:

2011-12-28T14:55:36.627-05:00 [05624 verbose 'PropertyProvider' ctxID=7ea28e87 opID=34BFBF3D-00000193] RecordOp REMOVE: taskInProgress["dr.storage.ArrayManager.addArrayPair23"], storage-arraymanager-13192

2011-12-28T14:55:36.627-05:00 [05624 info 'DrTask' ctxID=7ea28e87 opID=34BFBF3D-00000193] Task 'dr.storage.ArrayManager.addArrayPair23' failed with error: (dr.storage.fault.ArrayNotFound) {

-->    dynamicType = <unset>,

-->    faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,

-->    id = "'HOSTNAME1A.FQDN.local",

-->    siteUuid = "aab9fd9f-ead3-45d6-9f42-a90ef02c5120",

-->    siteName = "Site Recovery for MIA",

-->    msg = "Array 'HOSTNAME1A.FQDN.local' not found at site 'Site Recovery for MIA'.",

I have tried to find the location the DR array is grabbing those names from but I have been unsuccessful so far. It's not domain DNS and it's not local host file DNS (from either vcenter or the filers)

Has anyone seen this error before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cserpadss

The problem was/is with Operations Manager / OnCommand Core and how it creates the relationships for SnapMirror. If I create the SnapMirror manually through the Filer the problem goes away and each Filer sees the other as HOSTNAME:/VOL - I still have a ticket opened with NetApp for OnCommand but the pairing of the arrays in SRM is now working.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

MSEBEL1980

Larry,

Thanks for pointing out the issue with the connection name in the snapmirror.conf file. This is exactly the situation we were in after our upgrade to SRA 2.0.1 from v1.4 after our vSphere and SRM upgrade this week. Once we were able to find this info in that doc and determine we had an exact situation, we were able to make the adjustments and began to get everything clearly lined up. We were messing with the ip_hostname_mapping file but could not get it to work until we found this post.I'm not sure why this was changed from 1.4 but we had no issues with our setup back on that version and it worked w/o any problems.

Can you also confirm for me that the Include/Exclude list actually looks at the string value and not an actual match of a volume name? For example, if you exclude "TEST_VOL_xx" but have volumes named "TEST_VOLxx" and "TEST_VOL", it will exclude both of those even though you might not want both of those to be excluded? At least that's my experiences. Using quotes do specify the exact vol name does not work as the SRA will not accept those characters.

Matt

MAH_SHAHAT

We have installed VMware SRM 5.1 and NetApp SRA2.1. He has two NetApp storage (FAS3210 in Main site and FAS2240 in DR) with snapmirror license on both. Snapmirror is configured well in both site and work fine. After we configured SRM and run a recovery job. It is working well, but when we did reprotect job, it failed and this error message appeared :

Error - Failed to reverse replication for device '/vol/dr_test/lun_test'. SRA command 'prepareReverseReplication' failed for device '/vol/dr_test/lun_test'. Unable to failover the specified device

Ensure that the device is in online state and is mapped or exported properly.

Kindly support us ASAP if the bug in SRA or what.

Thanks in advance

TonyParker

This is a create post, but I'm dealing with this issue in clustered mode.  I have been unsuccesful in finding the etc/exports directory.  I understand that we now use export-policies... but how to I dig in and find the paths that have been exported?

Thanks all

glen_eustace

We are in the process of upgrading from SRM 4.1 to 5.1 and have hit a similar issue.

The connection string in the snapmiror.conf file is of the form filer1_filer2_999999999, if I edit the file manually it will work but DFM (Operations Manager) keeps rewriting the snapmirror.conf file and breaks it again.

I succeeded with one pair of filers but can not get it sorted on another.

I'd like to delete the relationships from DFM ( without destroying the actually relationship so that I can manually fix the files and then let DFM find them again but can't seem to work out how to do this.

Public