ONTAP Discussions

SnapVault restore to mirrored volume

chinchillaking

Hi All, I have problem refer SnapVault restore as below:

- SiteA OnTap 9.7 vserver svm1 volume vol1 SnapMirror to SiteB OnTap 9.7 vserver sm1 volume vol1_mirror

- SiteB OnTap 9.7 cluster cmode97sm vserver sm1 volume vol1_mirror SnapVault to SiteC OnTap 9.3 vserver svmdrd2d volume vol1_mirror_vault

- all SnapMirror and SnapVault replication successful and healthy

When SiteC cluster drd2d relationship select restore from Destination: drd2d://svmdrd2d/vol1_mirror_vault to Source cmode97sm://sm1/vol1_mirror with Latest Snapshot copy:snapmirror.xxxxxxxxxxx, it was display "Data ONTAP API Failed: Relationship with destination sm1:vol1_mirror already exists. (Error: 17122)".

I try select another Snapshot restore and it was display same error, I try use command line and it was same problem

I try break the SiteB Snapmirror and let the SiteB vserver sm1 volume vol1_mirror change from DP to RW, and try SiteC restore to SiteB and it was same error

But I try SiteC restore to SiteB other volume and it was successful

Is SnapVault did not allow restore to original Source volume in this setup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ttran

Hi Chinchillaking,

The reason you are receiving this error trying to restore from site C to site A is because of the existing relationship between site A and site B. In addition, site A isn't aware of site C as there is no direct relationship configurable as both Snapmirror & Snapvault are "pull operations", meaning the destination initiates the communication. It is possible to restore from site C to site A, but again, you will interrupt the relationship between site A and site B, so unless site B is unusable we do not advise restoring from site C as you will have to rebaseline from A to B once you complete the C to A restoration.

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

ttran

Hi Chinchillaking,

The reason you are receiving this error trying to restore from site C to site A is because of the existing relationship between site A and site B. In addition, site A isn't aware of site C as there is no direct relationship configurable as both Snapmirror & Snapvault are "pull operations", meaning the destination initiates the communication. It is possible to restore from site C to site A, but again, you will interrupt the relationship between site A and site B, so unless site B is unusable we do not advise restoring from site C as you will have to rebaseline from A to B once you complete the C to A restoration.

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp
Public