Effective December 3, NetApp adopts Microsoft’s Business-to-Customer (B2C) identity management to simplify and provide secure access to NetApp resources.
For accounts that did not pre-register (prior to Dec 3), access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour as your legacy NSS ID is synchronized to the new B2C identity.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

ONTAP Discussions

SnapVault restore to mirrored volume

chinchillaking

Hi All, I have problem refer SnapVault restore as below:

- SiteA OnTap 9.7 vserver svm1 volume vol1 SnapMirror to SiteB OnTap 9.7 vserver sm1 volume vol1_mirror

- SiteB OnTap 9.7 cluster cmode97sm vserver sm1 volume vol1_mirror SnapVault to SiteC OnTap 9.3 vserver svmdrd2d volume vol1_mirror_vault

- all SnapMirror and SnapVault replication successful and healthy

When SiteC cluster drd2d relationship select restore from Destination: drd2d://svmdrd2d/vol1_mirror_vault to Source cmode97sm://sm1/vol1_mirror with Latest Snapshot copy:snapmirror.xxxxxxxxxxx, it was display "Data ONTAP API Failed: Relationship with destination sm1:vol1_mirror already exists. (Error: 17122)".

I try select another Snapshot restore and it was display same error, I try use command line and it was same problem

I try break the SiteB Snapmirror and let the SiteB vserver sm1 volume vol1_mirror change from DP to RW, and try SiteC restore to SiteB and it was same error

But I try SiteC restore to SiteB other volume and it was successful

Is SnapVault did not allow restore to original Source volume in this setup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ttran

Hi Chinchillaking,

The reason you are receiving this error trying to restore from site C to site A is because of the existing relationship between site A and site B. In addition, site A isn't aware of site C as there is no direct relationship configurable as both Snapmirror & Snapvault are "pull operations", meaning the destination initiates the communication. It is possible to restore from site C to site A, but again, you will interrupt the relationship between site A and site B, so unless site B is unusable we do not advise restoring from site C as you will have to rebaseline from A to B once you complete the C to A restoration.

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

ttran

Hi Chinchillaking,

The reason you are receiving this error trying to restore from site C to site A is because of the existing relationship between site A and site B. In addition, site A isn't aware of site C as there is no direct relationship configurable as both Snapmirror & Snapvault are "pull operations", meaning the destination initiates the communication. It is possible to restore from site C to site A, but again, you will interrupt the relationship between site A and site B, so unless site B is unusable we do not advise restoring from site C as you will have to rebaseline from A to B once you complete the C to A restoration.

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public