The transition to NetApp MS Azure AD B2C is complete. If you missed the pre-registration, you will be invited to reigister at next log in.
Please note that access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

ONTAP Discussions

Snapshot Visibilty and Windows Previous Versions

darraghos

Hi all. Using some CIFS volumes on C-mode 9. I see you have the following options:

1. Set Snapshot visibilty at volume level
  2. Set Snapshot visibilty at sharelevel
  3. Enable previous versions at share level

Trying to understand who these all interact and what I should expect when the various combinations here? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

I would encourage you to test it yourself in a test environment if it is very important to your business needs, but that should be the way it works, yes.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AlexDawson

Options 1 and 2 show a "~snapshot" directory either at the root of a share, or the root of volumes inside the share at the point they join via a junction path into the namespace of a SVM - you can then tranverse through that directory to find snapshots and files inside those snapshots.

Option 3 enables integration of the snapshots of a file into the Windows "Previous Versions" tab.

Please let me know if you would like any further clarification on junction paths/volumes/namespaces/shares

darraghos

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Much appreciated. I think I have the lighbulb on now. So in this example would my expectations be corrrect (was lazy with the HTML 🙂

File System

vol2 - snap visibility enabled

vol1 - snap visibility enabled

ShareA -> /vol1/A [Share snap visibility enabled]

ShareB -> /vol1/B [Share snap visibility disabled]

Junction vol1/B/C - > junction /vol2/A

So if i:

1. Browse ShareA\ i see ~snapshot?
  2. Browse ShareB\ i  don't see ~snapshot?
  3. Browse ShareB\C\ i see snapshot ?

Is this understanding correct? 

AlexDawson

I would encourage you to test it yourself in a test environment if it is very important to your business needs, but that should be the way it works, yes.

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public