Software Development Kit (SDK) and API Discussions

How to change serial number on DOT Simulate ONTAP 8.0 7-Mode

proactgoran

Hi

I'm running two simulators (ONTAP 8.0 7-Mode) in VMware Player using the dataontap.vmx file.
How do I change the serial number for one on the simfilers?

Kind regards
Göran
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ekashpureff

I had found it a while ago from another post on here:

Try this receipe:

The current System ID is 987654-32-0. Say you want to change this to  987654-32-1.

First halt the VSIM and enter into the bootloader prompt. Set the new  serial ID there as shown.

SIMLOADER> set SYS_SERIAL_NUM="987654-32-1"
SIMLOADER> boot

On  booting if the system complains that it can't find it's disks then  that's because software disk ownership is doing the right thing and  keeping the disks allocated to the older system (old serial number). If  so, ctrl-c into maintenance mode and re-assign the disks to the new ID.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene Kashpureff

NetAppU Instructor and Independent Consultant
(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ekashpureff

I had found it a while ago from another post on here:

Try this receipe:

The current System ID is 987654-32-0. Say you want to change this to  987654-32-1.

First halt the VSIM and enter into the bootloader prompt. Set the new  serial ID there as shown.

SIMLOADER> set SYS_SERIAL_NUM="987654-32-1"
SIMLOADER> boot

On  booting if the system complains that it can't find it's disks then  that's because software disk ownership is doing the right thing and  keeping the disks allocated to the older system (old serial number). If  so, ctrl-c into maintenance mode and re-assign the disks to the new ID.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene Kashpureff

NetAppU Instructor and Independent Consultant
(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

proactgoran

Thanks for your fast reply, it helped

ip all

In maintance mode I did disk remove_owners all then disk assign all and now I do have two simulators with different s/n

Göran

hurstd

How do I change the System ID so DFM will allow me to add 2 systems?

amirm

Hi hurstd,

Do you mean you want to change the IDs in DFM DB? I would suggest that its better to change the IDs & Serial nos. as outlined in reply marked correct answer Eugene Kashpureff in this thread so that it gets added to your DFM DB as two different DOTs rather than other way round.

For sims to be unique in DFM DB they need to be of different SystemID as well as Serial No. You can set them while the sims are booted first time after unzipping from download.

Please refer to thread : https://communities.netapp.com/thread/13159 for how to change the IDs.

Thanks,

-Amir

Public