VMware Solutions Discussions

ESX host disappears from vCenter webclient inventory when VSC 6.1 is installed.

ricke

We Installed VSC 6.1 on our environment and I’ve noticed that when provisioning a datastore with the VSC or directly from onCommand, it gets created and mounted but its information is not available on the VSC plugin until we restart the VSC service.
Also we are tracking an issue that seemed to have pop up when we installed the VSC plug in, where the host does not show up in the vCenter inventory but it only affects the web client, If we use the vSphere C# client we can see the host in the inventory. If we disable and unregister the VSC extension and restart the web client service the host shows up in the inventory of the web client again.

We are using vSphere 6 Multi-vCenter using separate Platfom Service Controllers.

Any one else seen these problems?

46 REPLIES 46

grimmstede

Do you have the plugin installed on the vcenter server?  Set the startup for virtual storage console service to delayed, then reboot.

That seems to help me.

ricke

Yes, we are running the VSC on the same vCenter Server. Will give yor suggestion a try.

Thanks

EricNTAP

I've not experienced these issues.  What time delay did you enter for the VSC service?

Have you opened a support case?

ricke

I have not opened a support case but I have been able to reproduce this issue on more than one environment now.

schopro

Hello ricke,

did you solved this problem? We are facing also this problem. Hosts sometimes disappear when VSC is installed.

VSC 6.1; vCenterServer 6.0 U1

Regards

EricNTAP

Any additional information you can share?  New install, upgrade (VSC and VC)?  What user does this issue appear to affect?  What other inventory items disappear?

schopro

Hello,

yes...

- Complete new installation on VM > Win2012 R2; vCenterServer 6.0 Update1; VSC6.0 (on same server).

- Different hosts/cluster with ESX5.1 U3 / ESX6.0 U1; every hosts in the same cluster

- All users using the webclient. In vSphereClient everthing okay.

- host is available via search, but can't be displayed

- all other features are available.

Regards

danetruscott

Hi, did you ever get a fix as we are expriencing the same issue. new install vsphere 6u1 esx host 6u1 VSC 6.1 running on windows 2012r2.

Webclient Host and clusters the host disappers. 

AEN

Hello everyone,

same problem here! Any clues on how to fix it?

Thank you

Francesco

asulliva

Hello @schopro@AEN, and @danetruscott,

If you haven't already done so, please open a support case.  We're aware of the problem and working to resolve it, but more data is always helpful.

If it helps, I have the same problem in my lab : )

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

danetruscott

Thanks Andrew,

Yep, I have logged a call, they have a copy of my vcs logs files and your guys are looking into it.

Thanks,

Dane.

asulliva

Hello everyone,

Not a solution, but a potential workaround.  In my lab, which has been experiencing this issue, the hosts reappeared after rebooting vCenter.  If you can, you may want to give this a try.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

EricNTAP

@danetruscott

Can you let us know the support case?

Thanks

Eric

ricke

We still having this issue, Rebooting vCenter is not a good option on a VMware View environment since it is a very important dependency.

MJS

We also noticed this issue.  Behavior is random/sporadic, sometimes they are there, other times missing.  Changes states (appearing / not appearing) within a few seconds/minutes at times.  We verified it was not tied to any one browser (reproduced on IE 11, Chrome & Firefox) and different client machines.  Uninstalling the VSC 6.1 plug-in solved the problem immediately for us.

EricNTAP

@MJS If you've not already please open a support case.

Thanks

Eric

ricke

Support Request opened

Anton1

Any news on t hat? We are running VSC 6.2 and are still encountering the same behavoir:

Hosts are dropping in and out of the host list at will, which makes if often impossible to do vMotion as there are not hosts available in the lists.

MJS

Are you running the Windows vCenter or VCSA "appliance" out of curiousity?  For myself...we were seeing this on when we had VSC 6.1 installed on a separate windows VM and registered with the VCSA VM.  Once I switched to a single Windows VM co-hosting both the Windows vCenter and VSC 6.1 applications ~ the problem never appeared.  We haven't pursued this any further...since our baseline is going forward with this design...  NOTE: we did need to create a service dependency in the Windows vCenter design (basically ~ not starting one of the VSC services until one of the vCenter services is already running).

Hope that helps...

Anton1

Running Windows 2012R2 with vCenter 6 and VSC Plugin 6.2 x64

I will check if restarting the VSC Service helps.

Public