VMware Solutions Discussions

Upgrade VSC 4.1 to 4.2.1

drwoodberry

I just did an in place upgrade of VSC 4.1 to 4.2.1. When looking at the roles inside the VIC, I do not see any of the new default canned vsc roles. I now have no access to my backups. Has anyone seen this before? Is a reboot required? It is not mentioned in the documentation from what I saw, but it could have been over looked.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drwoodberry

Found the solution:

We are using custom roles in the environment. When using custom roles, the default canned roles do not get populated in the same manner. Once finding where they were being populated, modifying permissions corrected the issue.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

maness

The new roles should be created/updated on VSC service startup. Verify that the file VSC_INSTALL_DIR\etc\roleDefinitions.xml was installed, and restart the "Virtual Storage Console for VMware vSphere" service. Do you see any related log entries in nvpf.log during startup?

drwoodberry

the RoleDefinitions.xml file is on the system. When reading through the nvpf.log the only thing glaring out at me is the following which occurs for some of the roles.

"Communication failure while creating role: VSC Administrator com.vmware.vim25.NoPermission"

maness

What role does the user have whose credentials are registered at https://VSC_HOST:8143/Register.html? Those credentials should belong to a user with the Administrator role (not just "VSC Administrator").

drwoodberry

The account used to register the VSC is an Admin role without the permission to change permission, otherwise it is a full admin. As previously stated, I cannot see any of the "canned" VSC roles inside the VIC.

maness

Could you add back the permission that was removed to that account and retry restarting VSC?

drwoodberry

Added that role back to the account that registered the VSC. No luck. I have not tried to register VSC though since making that change. I will try that.

drwoodberry

Tried to re-register the plugin with the same account. I am still not seeing the default canned VSC roles inside virtual center.

maness

Just so I understand,

1. the user now has all privileges (i.e. a vSphere Administrator)
  2. the VSC plugin has been re-registered
  3. the VSC service has then been restarted (since the roles are only automatically updated when the VSC service starts).

What do you see in VSC_INSTALL_DIR\log\nvpf.log on VSC service restart?

drwoodberry

That is correct. I am seeing the same things in the log. The only thing that glares out to me is "Communication failure while creating role: VSC Administrator com.vmware.vim25.NoPermission".

Checking the event log I see the following: Persistence file ../../etc/vsphere-credentials does not exsist. as well as ../../etc/cred    I am however seeing these files.

drwoodberry

Found this even log entry as well:

10452 [WrapperSimpleAppMain] WARN com.netapp.common.flow.Engine - FLOW-10099: Exception while enabling Java Management Extensions

1. javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException: com.netapp.common.flow:type=Threadpool,name=admin               at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.Repository.addMBean(Unknown Source)          at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerWithRepository(Unknown Source)    at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerDynamicMBean(Unknown Source)   at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerObject(Unknown Source)   at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerMBean(Unknown Source)  at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.registerMBean(Unknown Source)         at com.netapp.common.flow.Engine.enableJMX(Engine.java:355)  at com.netapp.common.flow.Engine.start(Engine.java:190)         at com.netapp.common.flow.soap.WorkflowBindingFactory.bindWorkflows(WorkflowBindingFactory.java:93)    at com.netapp.common.flow.soap.WorkflowBindingFactory.bindWorkflows(WorkflowBindingFactory.java:66)    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)                at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)                at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.SimpleInstantiationStrategy.instantiate(SimpleInstantiationStrategy.java:115)             at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.instantiateUsingFactoryMethod(ConstructorResolver.java:435) at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.instantiateUsingFactoryMethod(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:903)                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBeanInstance(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:817)                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:440)                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)                at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:380)                at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:264)            at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:221) at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:261)   at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:185)        at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:164)        at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:429)      at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:729)    at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:381)            at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.createWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:255)        at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:199)             at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:45)      at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.callContextInitialized(ContextHandler.java:764)          at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.callContextInitialized(ServletContextHandler.java:406)                at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.startContext(ContextHandler.java:756)         at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.startContext(ServletContextHandler.java:242)               at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1221)               at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:699)  at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:454)          at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)  at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.doStart(HandlerCollection.java:224)          at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.doStart(ContextHandlerCollection.java:167)               at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)  at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.doStart(HandlerCollection.java:224)          at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)  at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:90)  at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:262)                at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:59)             at com.netapp.common.server.AbstractJettyServer.start(AbstractJettyServer.java:127)                at com.netapp.common.server.ServerFacade.start(ServerFacade.java:60)       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)                at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)          at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)    at com.netapp.common.cli.binding.CommandBinding.execute(CommandBinding.java:97)       at com.netapp.common.server.ServerMain.execute(ServerMain.java:45)        at com.netapp.common.server.ServerMain.main(ServerMain.java:66)                at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)    at org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperSimpleApp.run(WrapperSimpleApp.java:290) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

maness

Try this:

1. Delete VSC_INSTALL_DIR/etc/vsphere-credentials,

2. Restart the VSC service,

3. Re-register at https://localhost:8143/Register.html with credentials for the user that is a vSphere Administrator (has all vSphere privileges).

drwoodberry

No luck. I am seeing the same erros in the nvpf log as well as the event viewer. The Java error appears to be gone, but now it says it cannot find the /etc/cred as well as /etc/vsphere-credentials.

I have opened a case with NetApp as well. I am still not seeing the canned roles.

schrie

I just sent you a PM asking for the case number so that we can get this escalated in support for you, please send it directly.

drwoodberry

Email sent. Thanks so much.

drwoodberry

Found the solution:

We are using custom roles in the environment. When using custom roles, the default canned roles do not get populated in the same manner. Once finding where they were being populated, modifying permissions corrected the issue.

Smshirk

We are experiencing the exact same warning message in our application logs on our vsphere server following a massive enterprise wide

password change.  We have reregistered at https://localhost:8143/Register.html.  DrWoodberry referred to roles

not being correct.  Not sure which roles and permissions he was referring to, in our case we just did a password change.

Public