VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 2.0 x64 Install - "smvi-server.config cannot do the string substitution of server config file in smvi/cli/lib"

richard_may

Any idea what this error means?  The product base install along with cloning/provisioning works OK.  When I check the box to install backup, I get this error toward the end of the installation along with another error regarding smvi.override, smvi.config, and smvi.bat.

Then a cmd box opens and I see this:

wrapper  | OpenSCManager failed - Access is denied. (0x5)
WARNING - Unable to write to the configured log file location: log\wrapper.log
Falling back to the default file in current working directory: wrapper.log  Cause was: Access is denied. (0x5)
Unable to open logfile log\wrapper.log: Access is denied. (0x5)
The service name is invalid.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

richard_may

I re-ACL'd the entire install folder with Everyone:Modify and the install now completes without errors.

However, it's not creating the SMVI service.  I get "Error invoking SMVI Server. Make sure SMVI Server is running" when trying to configure the backup module.  If I check the services, sure enough, there's no SMVI. 

jerimiah303

I had the same issue due to Server 2008 UAC.

Right click on the install package and run as admin.

richard_may

I disabled UAC entirely.  "run as" didn't work, but I think killing UAC helped.

bazmercer

Just to add a comment to anyone finding this later... Running it from an elevated command prompt seems to work. Simply right clicking and "run as admin" doesn't...

alessandro_difenza

Also executing the installer setup as local server administrator solve the problem.

Regards

markxwalby

I was also having this problem. agree with bazmercer, i ran the .exe from an elevanted commaned prompt and it worked.

Thanks for the help people!

Public