The transition to NetApp MS Azure AD B2C is complete. If you missed the pre-registration, you will be invited to reigister at next log in.
Please note that access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 2.0 x64 Install - "smvi-server.config cannot do the string substitution of server config file in smvi/cli/lib"

richard_may

Any idea what this error means?  The product base install along with cloning/provisioning works OK.  When I check the box to install backup, I get this error toward the end of the installation along with another error regarding smvi.override, smvi.config, and smvi.bat.

Then a cmd box opens and I see this:

wrapper  | OpenSCManager failed - Access is denied. (0x5)
WARNING - Unable to write to the configured log file location: log\wrapper.log
Falling back to the default file in current working directory: wrapper.log  Cause was: Access is denied. (0x5)
Unable to open logfile log\wrapper.log: Access is denied. (0x5)
The service name is invalid.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

markxwalby

I was also having this problem. agree with bazmercer, i ran the .exe from an elevanted commaned prompt and it worked.

Thanks for the help people!

alessandro_difenza

Also executing the installer setup as local server administrator solve the problem.

Regards

bazmercer

Just to add a comment to anyone finding this later... Running it from an elevated command prompt seems to work. Simply right clicking and "run as admin" doesn't...

richard_may

I re-ACL'd the entire install folder with Everyone:Modify and the install now completes without errors.

However, it's not creating the SMVI service.  I get "Error invoking SMVI Server. Make sure SMVI Server is running" when trying to configure the backup module.  If I check the services, sure enough, there's no SMVI. 

jerimiah303

I had the same issue due to Server 2008 UAC.

Right click on the install package and run as admin.

richard_may

I disabled UAC entirely.  "run as" didn't work, but I think killing UAC helped.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public