VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 2.1 Install - Upgrade Documentation Conflict

jeras

Hi!

I'm looking to upgrade from VSC 2.0.1 to VSC 2.1, however the documentation appears to have conflicting statements on this matter. On page 12 of the install guide, it states that previous versions of VSC should be uninstalled prior to installing VSC 2.1. However, on page 14, it states that if you have installed a previous version of VSC that you can upgrade to VSC 2.1 or later.    Also, the install steps described on page 12 indicate that if the VSC intstaller finds a previous version installed already you will be promoted to uninstall it.  This seems to fly in the section that starts on page 14 that talks about upgrading VSC.

Which is the correct approach?  Also, if you have to uninstall the previous version in order to install VSC 2.1, is there a way to preserve the exisitng jobs & reports?

Thanks!

Ken

4 REPLIES 4

sharmas

Hi Ken,

You need to uninstall the old version and then install VSC 2.1. All your Backup Jobs & Reports will be preserved.

To be on a safer side you can preserve the Repository folder in "c:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi\server" directory. You'll not need it though.

- Satinder

bingq

And you will also be prompted with words like, whether delete the directory entirely or not?, during the uninstallation. Just select no at this time.

Then you can preserve your data.

Bing

avbohemen

I just did an upgrade yesterday from 2.0.1 to 2.1 without uninstalling the previous version. I have not seen any errors yet - even better, all existing errors (mostly slow running script errors) have all disappeared. All my jobs, logs etc were preserved. So no need to uninstall the previous version.

susancar

Hi, Ken,

I'm sorry I did not see this sooner. This information was clarified  in both the install section and the upgrade section of the 2.1.1 (packaged with the 2.1.2 software) and 4.0 documentation.

Regards,

SusanCarol

Public