VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 6.2 scheduled backup won't run

Jens_Jacobsen

We have setup with vSphere 6, VCenter Appliance, and a Windows 2012 with the NetApp VSC plugin installed.
I can setup a backup-job, with snapshot of VM, and snapmirror of the volume.
When I run the job manully it works, but it won't run at the scheduled time.
It worked fine in VSC 6.1.
Has anyone seen this issue, og have any ideas what could be the reason ?

19 REPLIES 19

Darice

I'm having the exact same issue with VSC 6.2.  Jobs run fine when started manually but not at the scheduled time.  We're running VSC 6.2 and vCenter 6.0 Update 2.

Darice

Jens,

I was able to resolve the issue.  Here's what I ended up doing:

1. Uninstalling VSC 6.2, deleting the “C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console” folder and subfolders and then installing VSC 6.1.
  2. Disabling TLS for the controllers (this apparently only works with VSC 6.2).
  3. Re-creating the backup jobs with new This step was very important as otherwise were receiving a “MethodFault.summary” error message.

After doing all of these steps backup jobs have all been running successfully since 6:00 PM EST yesterday!

Jens_Jacobsen

Hi

I restartet the windows server with the VSC plugin, and after that it has run 🙂

In the troubleshooting, I tried to modify the backup-job to run on a diffrent time, but i still runs at the time I configured at first.

So for me it seems to work ok, except for modify the backup time.

Perhaps I have to delete the job and create it again, if it should run on another time..... 😕

Regarding the controllers, I was not able to add them with TLS in VSC 6.2, but in 6.1 I was able to use TLS.

I don't know if it requies new certificates at the controllers ??

But anyway it works now 🙂

BR

Jens

swannadjemian

Hi,

We have the same issue with 6.2. The reboots changes nothing.
Complete Uninstall, delete files and reinstall with new configuration, still the same!

We try 6.1...

BR,

Swann

Daniel_E

This is currently being tracked under Bug 996129

http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=996129

From what has been seen, this impacts backup jobs created or editted in VSC 6.2.

There are two work arounds that have been identified:

1. Revert to VSC 6.1.  Note that it may be necessary to edit the affected backup jobs (simply modifying the description would be adequate).

2. After creating or editting a backup job in VSC 6.2, restart the NetApp SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure service.

EricNTAP

A new patch for VSC has been released, 6.2P1.  It can be downloaded here:

http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/vsc_win/6.2P1/

VSC 6.2 merges the seperateness of VVOLs/VP in 6.0 and no VVOLs but integration with SnapCenter 1.0 of VSC 6.1.

Jens_Jacobsen

Hi

I have tried to upgrade to VSC 6.2P1, but it failed - not the installation on the Windows server.

But afterward I wasn't able to run the backupjobs, or make new jobs.

When creating a new job, I reach the step, where I choose the volume, and then it says, that it cannot connect to the Virtual Storage Console - Make sure it is running.

I have then uninstalled the VSC 6.2p1, for comming back to a point where it was running, but I didn't succeed 😞

And after the uninstallation, I renamed the NetApp-folder, so it didn't bring some old configuration with in the to new installation.

I have also tried unregistering the in the ExtensionManager on the Vsphere Client.

I also installed a new Windows server, to make sure it wasn't on the server's registry there was some left over.

Now I finally managed to make it running again. - so my question is now.

What is the exact procedure for upgrading from VSC 6.2 -> VSC 6.2P1 ??

I also have som VM's that where I recieve this error:

2016-05-13 01:30:11,051 WARN - VMware Task "CreateSnapshot_Task" for entity "DKSXXXFRENFDC1v" failed with the following error: An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Failed to quiesce the virtual machine.
2016-05-13 01:30:11,067 WARN - Only a crash consistent backup will be taken for VM "DKSXXXFRENFDC1v" since VMware snapshot create operation failed.      

Thanks 🙂

BR

Jens  

JORDIPERA

Hi everyone,

I read your responses and I have the same problem, the scheduled won’t run. Today I update to VSC 6.2P1 and it works fine.

The update process is very simple, only start de setup process and it upgrade the version and the process, after finished it need to re-register the plug-in.

many thanks

Steffen_Schwung

Hi all,

the reason, the jobs did not run is un the job itself - there is a end time in Year 292278994 - so very far away. To solve this, you must manually edit the xml file and then restart the smvi-service.

Example job:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<quartz xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://www.opensymphony.com/quartz/JobSchedulingData">

<job>

<job-detail>

<name>test2</name>

<group>JOB_GROUP</group>

<description></description>

<job-class>com.netapp.smvi.scheduler.BackupScheduleJob</job-class>

<job-data-map>

<entry>

<key>ID</key>

<value>54332548-b8aa-4bb1-b252-200d9eb64774</value>

</entry>

</job-data-map>

</job-detail>

<trigger>

<cron>

<name>test2-trigger</name>

<group>TRIGGER_GROUP</group>

<misfire-instruction>MISFIRE_INSTRUCTION_DO_NOTHING</misfire-instruction>

<job-name>test2</job-name>

<job-group>JOB_GROUP</job-group>

<start-time>2016-05-23T12:50:00+02:00</start-time>

<end-time>292278994-08-17T08:12:55.807+01:00</end-time>

<cron-expression>0 50 12 * * ?</cron-expression>

</cron>

</trigger>

</job>

</quartz>

D_SITTA_SINERGY

same issue with 6.2P1 we solved replacing

<end-time>292278994-08-17T08:12:55.807+01:00</end-time>

with

<end-time>2050-01-01T08:00.00+01:00</end-time>

NetApp please debug carefully with intelligence your software, also because they are very expensive and customers needs reliability

ErikSteffensen

Hi

Where are the backup jobs stored? I've got the same problem even with VSC 6.2P2 but I'm using the integration with SnapCenter.

Regards Erik

D_SITTA_SINERGY

if installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 the default should be:

C:\Program Files\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi\server\repository\backup\jobs

use an editor like Notepad++ or other

Bye

ErikSteffensen

Thanks,

But as I use VSC integrated with SnapCenter, the jobs seems to be stored in SnapCenter DB and not locally on VSC.

regards Erik

Daniel_E

You are correct. If using VSC with SnapCenter integration, the backup job configuration is saved in SnapCenter's database.

If the jobs are not running on their schedule, it would be a different issue than the one in this thread.

Without seeing the SnapCenter logs, it would be difficult to say. However, I have seen previously, where SnapCenter had the state of related backup jobs stuck in a job monitor table.

Specifically in the instance I saw, it was the nsm_nlb_job_monitor table. 

That manifested with this type of message in the SC logs:

2016-06-02T02:50:02.3881703-04:00 DEBUG SMCore PID=[4760] TID=[23] StartScheduleBackup FailedNLB job '<backup_job_name>' already running on node '<snapcenter_node_name>'.

An improved automated clean up mechanism for this is scheduled for the next release of SnapCenter.

jgebhart2

This is currently being tracked under Bug 996129

http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=996129

This is the answer. (6.2P2 is actually out now).

I had the same problem and upgrading solved it. A workaround without doing the upgrade is to restart the SMVI service after making any changes to a backup job.

Juzdizzlerizler

same issue here, jobs created in 6.0, can't see the VSC plugin in vcenter 6.0 but jobs still seem to run, can't see backups but can seem to click blank items that are the backups?

upgraded to 6.2P2 and it broke the backups now and giving me methodfault issues, seems like they should have just left in the vspshere or redesign the whole thing so that it actually works.

Daniel_E

Those issues sound like something discinct from the VSC 6.0 scheduled backup issue. Without seeing the logs it would be difficult to say. On occasion, during the upgrade, I have seen issues with Java properly registering its classes.

If nothing is showing and you are getting the MethodFault message (again, without knowing more specifics about when that is being seen and what is being presented in the logs) a course of action that often remediates the issue is the following:

1. Run the VSC installer again.

2. When the registration page comes up, ensure you are registering with vCenter utilizing a vCenter adminstrator user (this is called out in the VSC Installation and Administration Guide).

3. Ensure that the storage controllers have correct credentials.

I have seen rare instances where it is necessary to remove VSC and reinstall.

If that is required, you can preserve your backups by saving the following folder:

%INSTALL%\NetApp\Virtual Storage Console\smvi\server\repository

Note that after you install VSC again and put this folder back into place, it will be necessary to restart the 'NetApp SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure' service.

Also note that you will need to re-enter the storage controller credentials.

HY

VSC and SMVI before it are so unbelievably buggy and full of school boy errors that should have been picked up during Quality Assurance. Netapp please sort it out, it's embarrassing when I have to report back to senior managers at a blue chip firm to say that the SCHEDULED jobs failed to run. 

Juzdizzlerizler

Seem to have everything working now. But the plugin is only viisble for certain people even though the permissions are correct. 

Have completely reinstalled it and upgraded, still the same issue - log a call with NetApp and they say " please re-install or update"

Public