VMware Solutions Discussions

replication between different versions of DOT

nsitps1976

Can I just check that you can replicate between different versions of DataONTAP?

For example between FAS2050 which can run DOT8.0 and a FAS2020 which runs DOT7.3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

erick_moore

You can do it with qtree SnapMirror.  There are limitiations with volume SnapMirror since it replicates the volume metadata.  Also, I don't think the 2050 supports OnTap 8.

Thanks,

E-

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

erick_moore

You can do it with qtree SnapMirror.  There are limitiations with volume SnapMirror since it replicates the volume metadata.  Also, I don't think the 2050 supports OnTap 8.

Thanks,

E-

pascalduk

For volume snapmirror the destination filer needs to be on the same or a higher Ontap version as the source filer.

From the FAS20x0 series only the FAS2040 supports ontap 8.

nsitps1976

My mistake, I did mean the 2040.

So I would want to do volume replication from a 2040 (dot8) to a 2020 (dot7.3) - Which from what you are saying this can not be done unless the 2040 is downgraded to dot7.3????? 

erick_moore

You CAN do it if you use QSM (QTree SnapMirror) instead of VSM (Volume SnapMirror).  As an example, lets say you have a LUN in the root of a Flexvol on a system running 8.0, 7-Mode.  You want to SM that LUN to a system running 7.3.3.  You cannot use VSM since 7.3.3 does not know about the volume structure in a system running a higher OnTap release.  In this case you would need to move your LUN to a Qtree (which can be done non-disruptively), and then you could use QSM to mirror the data from the OnTap 8, 7-Mode system to the 7.3.3 system.  The reason for this is QSM is replicating only files (a LUN in this case) whereas VSM replicates the entire volume including metadata.

E-

nsitps1976

So you can create a SAN LUN used for VMware VMs within a qtree?

erick_moore

You absolutely can do that.  If you already have LUNs presented to ESX/vSphere you can easily move those LUNs into qtree's on the fly, and then use QSM to replicate those to another system.

nsitps1976

Ok, this is good news.

Are there any limitations / things I should be aware of if this route was taken? Does it complicate the process in any way?

erick_moore

No not really.  All you need to do when building LUNs is create a qtree first, and then build your LUN in that qtree. 

Public