ONTAP Discussions

Reuse shelves from 2240 7-Mode on 2552 cDOT system?

thomasb82

Hi guys,

lets say we have an old 2240 7-Mode system with some (rather new) DS2246 shelves.

Those shelves do not contain the root aggregates & volumes.

Is it possible to reuse them on the new cDOT system WITHOUT loosing data ?

Here is why I ask, the old system has around 50TB SAS capacity.

If I need to buy now an additional 50TB just to move data that will be a) way more expensive and b) a pain to move the data.

And after the move I would have another 50TB of capacity just lying around for probably another 1-2 years until they are needed.

So you can imagine what my boss will say to me...

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

Unfortunately, officially CFT is not supported for entry systems. I have hard time to believe in any technical restrictions; but unless NetApp will be willing to do it, your only solution is to temporary head swap from 2240 to midrange, do CFT to another midrange and head swap back to 2552. May be you can convince NetApp to loan you two HA pairs with shelves ... 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

aborzenkov

Unfortunately, officially CFT is not supported for entry systems. I have hard time to believe in any technical restrictions; but unless NetApp will be willing to do it, your only solution is to temporary head swap from 2240 to midrange, do CFT to another midrange and head swap back to 2552. May be you can convince NetApp to loan you two HA pairs with shelves ... 🙂

thomasb82

can't wait for that easy process 🙂 oh man....

Thanks!

SeanHatfield

Although your external shelves may not contain the root aggregates or root vols, with CFT you must bring over all aggregates, shelves, and disks.  Its those internal disks and the aggrs they are a part of that make the entry level platforms a challenge for CFT.  

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public