VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 4.2.1 - vCenter 5.1 - Failed to determine priviliges for operation

synergicsnow

I upgraded VSC 4.2 to VSC 4.2.1 and now I receive the following error when trying te edit, run or add backup jobs:

I previously did not have any specific roles set up, and all worked fine.

I have now tried adding these permissions following NetApp's KB (https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013627), but this does not resolve the issue.

I have not tried adding rights to ONTAP, since I don't have the required access to the system, I would have to ask a colleague.

What could be causing this? I have never had this with previous versions..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

synergicsnow

I reverted back to 4.2, and this solved the issue.

Seems like a bug (possibly only in my specific situation)?

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

synergicsnow

I reverted back to 4.2, and this solved the issue.

Seems like a bug (possibly only in my specific situation)?

REGIS_GARRUCHET

+1

Same for me here.

Back to 4.2, no more permission issue.

HENRYPAN2

Me too so +2,

Looks like VSC 4.1.2 was rushed out too early?

Good w/e

Henry

schrie

Hi All,

I'm an Escalation Engineer here at NetApp in the Global Support Organization, and wanted to reach out to everyone encountering this issue to ensure that you've opened support requests if you're encountering this issue, to ensure that we're remediating any of the issues within the software (whether it's this permissions issue or another problem/complaint).  Once you've opened a support request for the VSC issues, please send me a PM with the support case number to ensure that we get the case escalated as quickly as possible.

Cheers,

Jennifer

ISMAEL_ROSSELL

Hello,

I'm in the same situation. 'Failed to determine priviliges for operation: xxxx'.

It's a strange issue, because jobs that were created last week are still working ok, but I can't edit or add new ones.

The scenario is a new fresh install on vCenter 5.5 with ESXi 5.5 on hosts (No early versions of VCS were installed) . One server is running vcenter service & inventory service, and in other server is running Single-SignOn service, Webclient service and VCS 4.2.1 service.

I'm afraid that I can not go back to 4.2 because is not supported for vSphere 5.5.

Any comment wil be appreciated.

BR,

Ismael.

gatorman1369

+1 here too on 4.2.1 at two different sites/vCenters. I haven't rolled back, instead a reboot seems to work for a while so am able to make whatever changes I needed to do. Then the issue creeps back in.

I've got one site at vSphere 5.5 (DR) and another on 5.1U1 (HQ)

schrie

This appears to be an upgrade/permissions issue, we've been able to confirm that the following action plan works to resolve the message in VSC 4.2.1:

• Uninstall the VSC 4.2.1 from the server
    • Remove the VSC installation directory entirely
  • Reinstall VSC 4.2.1:
    • Ensure that you right-click "run as administrator" to begin the installer
    • Once the installer completes and brings up the registration page, ensure that you use the vCenter "Administrator" account to register with vCenter
  • Once the registration has completed, close and reopen your vSphere client:
    • Ensure you log in as a vCenter administrator
    • Ensure you are logging in from an RDP session on the same server as VSC is installed
  • Once the vSphere client is opened, click on "home", then "NetApp" - and wait on this screen until all NetApp discovery processes complete
    • After the discovery processes have completed, right-click on each controller and enter "root" and root's password for each 7mode controller listed - or "admin" and the cluster admin password for each cDOT controller
  • Once all controllers have been successfully added using the root/admin credentials, repeat the process used originally to trigger the permissions error, and confirm the problem has been resolved

If you continue to see permissions issues, please don't hesitate to open a support case with NetApp Support.

crisisuk01

Schrie, I too had this issue and have followed your instructions but now when I go to see if the issue with the backup job is still there I have found that all my backup jobs no longer exist as well as all my backups which have now disappeared? I assume this was not the intended result from your instructions to reinstall VSC? Please advise as a matter of urgency as I am worried that all my backups are gone for good?! I have a Netapp case already for this issue.

crisisuk01

Has anyone who followed Schrie's instructions to reinstall VSC experienced the same as me whereby all their backup jobs & backups have disappeared? Please post. Thanks

ISMAEL_ROSSELL

Hello,

We follow Schrie's & Support instructions. The issue has gone and we can create or modify new backup's jobs.

BR,

Ismael.

crisisuk01

Thanks Ismael for your response. Glad to hear it worked for you and that you it still maintained your backups and backup jobs. Luckily, I took a vmware snapshot of my vcenter server vm and reverted back to it and got all my backups back. Strange thing is that after i reverted back to my snapshot and I rebooted server, I found that I no longer received this error message and I could edit the backup job again?!? Very strange! I still dont trust v4.2.1 though, I think it is buggy! I have a case with netapp who are suggesting that I revert back to v4.2. Will keep you posted!

D_SITTA_SINERGY

Hello, I managed to solve the problem without removal operations / installation. It is sufficient to check which user runs the services of VSC​​. If the services were performed with "local system", then change it by simply set a user with administration rights to the virtual center. Restart services "Virtual Storage Console for VMware vSphere Server" and "NetApp SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure".

So you don't loose backup & restore XML settings.

Hello

Davide

d.sitta@sinergy.it

Public