VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 7.1, backup/restore, SnapCenter, ONTAP 9.3

SMLocke

Hello friends. We're looking to upgrade from ONTAP 9.1 to 9.3 pretty soon now.

Our current loadout of 9.1 + VSC 6.2 lets us do SMVI backup and restore natively to VSC and the VMWare web client.

Upgrading to 9.3 will require us to update VSC first to 7.1. The SMVI backup and restore capability is no longer with VSC, and has migrated to SnapCenter.

So far so good - we need to talk to the sales guys about SnapCenter licenses. 

And then I hear word that SnapCenter is No Longer A Thing, and stopped being offered a couple weeks back. The sales guys can't offer us a quote on it.

So like ... does anyone know what application or plugin is now supporting SMVI for backup and restore for ONTAP 9.3 and VSC 7.1? What's the latest news on this?

2 REPLIES 2

scortez

@SMLocke,

i'm very sorry for the confusion here.  I'm the TME for not just VSC but also the VMWare plug-in for SnapCenter.  this quote bothers me as its an incorrect statement "And then I hear word that SnapCenter is No Longer A Thing, and stopped being offered a couple weeks back. The sales guys can't offer us a quote on it."  As long as you have a premium bundle applied to your controller(s) SnapCenter is free to use.  we have a great migration tool that will make the migration super easy from SMVI backups to SnapCenter based ones.  I'd love to have an opportunity to have a webex call with you.

Steven 

D_BEREZENKO

Let me clarify a bit.

SnapCenter is a new product intended to replace SnapManager. SnapManager is no longer a thin, not SnapCenter.

SnapCenter & SnapManager are both using same licenses, so if you already have Complete Bundle software, it means it already has a SnapManager license, which means you already have SnapCenter license.

Hope this helps.

Public