VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 7.1 with vSphere 6.7

CommanderBond

Hello,

did anybody try VSC 7.1 with vSphere 6.7 yet? I deployed the VSC appliance, it successfully registered to vCenter as shown in VSC maintenance screen and in vcenter/mob extensionManager, but its icon does not appear in vCenter nor is it displayed in the client plugins list in vCenter 6.7.

I already tried it using different browsers and rebooted the vCenter VCSA 6.7.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

konnerth

Hi,

VMware made some architectural changes in 6.7U2 that required additional changes/testing with the Unified Virtual Appliance (VSC/VP/SRA).  We are targeting 6.7U2 support for the UVA with the 9.6 release this summer.

---Karl

View solution in original post

101 REPLIES 101

MicheleD

That's very good to hear! thanks Karl for coming back.

Just wondering if VMware 6.7u1  would be included. That'll be awesome!

Regards,

Michele

konnerth

Yes, VSC 7.2.1 will support vSphere 6.7U1 (as well as 6.0, 6.5 and 6.7 releases).  It will also support all currently supported ONTAP releases (9.1, 9.3, 9.4, and 9.5).

One note about vSphere 6.7.  We found occasional problems with Windows guests on NFSv3 and vSphere 6.7 in our testing, and you'll find this note in our Interoperability Matrix Tool:

Windows GOS hosted on ESXi6.7-NFSV3 datastores occasionally experience longer I/O timeouts. This issue is not observed with ESXi 6.7U1 so upgrade your server to ESXi 6.7U1.

Please refer Bug:1164257 and Public Report https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1164257 for more details.

---Karl

MicheleD

Great stuff!

Hoping to see VSC 7.2.1 soon

Thanks

Michele

MrLe

Will this NetApp VSC 7.2.1 (SRA functionality)  work  VMware vSphere 6.7/SRM 8.1?

konnerth

Yes, I believe we will support that combination.  We already support 6.5 wtih SRM 8.1 with the 7.2 appliance.

---Karl

MrLe

@konnerth Thanks for reply. My NetApp/VMware environment is already at vCenter 6.7 - SRM 8.1, so 7.2 appliance won't work.

Do you have a date of 7.2.1 release? It suppose to be in December and only 10 days left.

Also can I get an early release of the 7.2.1 now for testing?

Regards,

Giao Le

konnerth

Work on the VSC 7.2.1 release supporting vCenter 6.7 has been our top priority since 7.2 released at the end of June.  In addition to the engineering work to adapt to vCenter 6.7 changes, we have made a number of product fixes, and security upgrades to the base appliance OS.  Final testing identified some issues with these changes, and we are working hard to resolve them (including working over the upcoming holiday week).  Our current release target is the third week of January.  We are sorry for the delay, but want to deliver a reliable, secure release for you!

---Karl

konnerth

Hi Giao,

I just posted an update on the release.  Unfortunately it's too late for early access/beta testing with 7.2.1.  We are considering that for the next release - please work through your NetApp account team if interested.

---Karl

nobenhoffer

Posted where?

konnerth

I was referring to the update message I posted about two weeks ago in this thread.

nobenhoffer

OK, so still 3rd week in January?  And is that going to support 6.7 or 6.7 U1?

konnerth

Yes, we are targeting the week of January 21st.  The virtual appliance will support both vCenter 6.7 and 6.7U1 (as well as 6.0 and 6.5 releases).

However, our ONTAP testing with vSphere 6.7 showed occasional I/O timeouts with Windows guests on NFSv3 datastores.  So VMware and NetApp recommend 6.7U1 if you are using NFSv3. 

---Karl

jakari

And just to verify, the VSC release will also include the SRA release?

konnerth

Yes, the Unified V irtual Appliance combines the VSC, VASA Provider and SRA in a single OVA package.  For SRA, 7.2.1 will support SRM 6.0, 6.1, 6.5, 6.5.1, 8.1, and 8.1.1.

---Karl

AnotherStorageGuy

Karl,

Thanks for posting the updates regularly. I'm literally waiting for VSC 7.2.1 only to immediately start my VCSA 6.7u1 upgrade 🙂

KingsIT

It is very disappointing that 8 months after release, NetApp VSC is still not supported in vSphere 6.7!

NetApp is holding our Enterprise back - is it time to find a new partner?

Crossing my fingers that this doesn't drag into 2019...

Mordock

I have to admit, VMware VSAN is looking better all the time.  I am running a hybrid VSAN in my home lab and it is working great.  It is a bit picky on drivers and bios versions, it has a built in checker.  My VSAN hardware is all on the compatibility list, but I am running newer versions of drivers for my SAS controller and firmware on the NVMe SSDs than what is officially approved and it is complaining about it.  But it is still works great.

rajesharumugam

I have same issue. Follow the KB to remove the existing VSC from vcenter 

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2010/07/how-to-unregister-vcenter.html 

Thanks

Public