VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC 7.1 with vSphere 6.7

CommanderBond

Hello,

did anybody try VSC 7.1 with vSphere 6.7 yet? I deployed the VSC appliance, it successfully registered to vCenter as shown in VSC maintenance screen and in vcenter/mob extensionManager, but its icon does not appear in vCenter nor is it displayed in the client plugins list in vCenter 6.7.

I already tried it using different browsers and rebooted the vCenter VCSA 6.7.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

konnerth

Hi,

VMware made some architectural changes in 6.7U2 that required additional changes/testing with the Unified Virtual Appliance (VSC/VP/SRA).  We are targeting 6.7U2 support for the UVA with the 9.6 release this summer.

---Karl

View solution in original post

101 REPLIES 101

Ian_Hayhurst

Really the upgrade is quite broken. after the appliance fails to reboot ,  you get a splash screen with a continue or change maint PW options, then text console "Booting VSC, VASA Provider, and SRA virtual appliance...Please wait..."

Using the atrernatice Ctrl Alt F2 console there is a # shell prompt and a message saying run-init /sbin/init no such file or directory

Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init

pretty much anything you try reports missing libsecomp.so.2 (attempting to add in with apt reports other missing things,  the scripts that init refers to in maint/scripts call things in /sbin that are missing 9shutdown for example) 

Well done for getting it out on time I appreciate the effort (Nill points for the missing libs though ;(

Ian_Hayhurst

That was a 7.2 TO 7.2.1 upgrade

konnerth

Yes, at this point we are seeing problems with some upgrades.  New installations work well.  Until we have more information from Engineering (which is investigating at high priority), do not use 7.2.1 for upgrades.

---Karl 

GraemeH

We are having issues with the new instance (not upgrade) on vcentre 6.7u1

- Static IP doesn't appear to bind properly to the vitual appliance

- HTML 5 interface works ok, however cannot enable VASA or VAAI from the HTML 5 interface. We can add storage systems here and see some of the details (I also get a message about it being a technical preview)

When i use the web client (flex) and use the vsc client  I get an error 'Unable to connect to virtual storage console server, Please make sure that the virtual storage console server is running'.

I click ok 6 times to get back to the console. None of the information is shown that I can see in vmware HTML 5 client 

Deploying the OVA using vcentre 6.5  seems to work a lot better, but still results in the same issue on our 6.7U1 vcentre

konnerth

Hi Graeme,

Can you confirm you are reporting issues with a 7.2.1 new install?

The HTML5 pages are just a preview to explore a few functions, not full functionality.  They shouldn't be used for productional purposes.

If you are having problems with the Web/Flex/Flash client functionality, would you please open a case with NetApp Support?  I'm not aware of problems reported with new installations.

Thanks,

---Karl

GraemeH

Yes,

Problem is with a New install for Vcentre 6.7u1, completely removed and re-added vsc again with the same result 

Deploy using DHCP seems ok

HTMl 5 interface seems ok

Flex Client interface I get the two follow errors

pkumarp

Hi Graeme, 

It seems that the vCenter and mob are not cleaned up properly before registering VSC plugin to vCenter 6.7u1.  Please follow the below clean up steps and retry. It should work.

1. Unregister VSC from vCenter using https://<appliance_ip>/Register.html page.

2. Go to mob: https://<vcenter_ip>/mob → Content → Extension Manager → Unregister Extension → Unregister all com.netapp.* extensions.
3. Log in to the vCenter Server as root using putty.
4. Stop the vSphere Web Client: service-control --stop vsphere-client

5. Go to the vsphere-client-serenity directory:
cd /etc/vmware/vsphere-client/vc-packages/vsphere-client-serenity
6. Remove the directories containing the UI extensions: rm -rf com.netapp*
Note: Make sure that you include the asterisk (*) at the end of the command.
This command removes both the VSC and VASA Provider extensions.
7. Restart the vSphere Web Client: service-control --start vsphere-client . It can take several minutes for the vSphere Web Client to restart and initialize correctly.

8. Now re-register VSC using https://<appliance_ip>/Register.html page and you shouldn't face any issues.

@GraemeH wrote:

Yes,

Problem is with a New install for Vcentre 6.7u1, completely removed and re-added vsc again with the same result 

Deploy using DHCP seems ok

HTMl 5 interface seems ok

Flex Client interface I get the two follow errors

pkumarp

Hi Graeme, 

Whenever the IP address of the VSC appliance changes, we must hard reset the certificates through maint console before registering it to vCenter. It looks like your static ip binding has failed for the same reason. Below are the steps to hard reset certificates.

1. Log into VSC maint console as "maint" user.

2. In main menu displayed there select "Application Configuration"

3. And then in Application Configuration menu, select "Hard reset Keystores and Certificates"

Hope this helps.

GraemeH

Have done the full clean up and the hard key reset, probelm still persists. I have opened a case

konnerth

Hi,

Engineering has identified the root cause of the 7.2.1 upgrade failures seen by some customers, and has developed and tested a small fix to allow upgrades to complete successfully.  If you have a failed upgrade or need assistance with an affected upgrade, please contact NetApp Support for assistance. 

• The fix is required for any previously upgraded 7.2 installation to upgrade to 7.2.1 (7.1 -> 7.2 -> 7.2.1, or 7.0 ->7.1 -> 7.2 -> 7.2.1, or 7.0 -> 7.2 -> 7.2.1).
  • The fix is *not* required for any original 7.0, 7.1 or 7.2 installation to upgrade to 7.2.1 (7.0 -> 7.2.1, 7.1 -> 7.2.1, or 7.2 -> 7.2.1).

Of course, please make sure you have a backup before starting your upgrade.  I used a VM snapshot, rolled back after upgrade failure, made the changes, and the upgrade completed successfully.

We are working to package the fix in an upcoming 7.2.1 patch release.

---Karl

Jose8

GraemeH

So far since logging the case last week the Support engineer has only managed to check the support matrix...Smiley Mad

yodablown

I'm also having issues. Testing this out on a Fresh install of Vcenter 6.7 and Fresh install of VSC 7.2.1.

Everthing looks like it works. VSC shows its registered to  VC and VC says it finds a new plug in but it does not apear in the plug in list and i dont get any of the icons.  Have been waiting a long time for this to work and almost got excited there for a bit.

konnerth

Hi yodablown,

We definitely have this working in our Engineering and QA systems.  So it would be good to work with Support on this.  I have seen cases where the Serenity framework does not update properly with new plugins.  I am so tired of the Flash/Flex client and look forward to HTML5!

---Karl 

konnerth

Hi Graeme,

If you can share your case number, we can work to make sure it progresses.   We looked for your case based on your name here but weren't sure.

---Karl

larryblanco

@konnerth wrote:

Hi,

Engineering has identified the root cause of the 7.2.1 upgrade failures seen by some customers, and has developed and tested a small fix to allow upgrades to complete successfully.  If you have a failed upgrade or need assistance with an affected upgrade, please contact NetApp Support for assistance. 

• The fix is required for any previously upgraded 7.2 installation to upgrade to 7.2.1 (7.1 -> 7.2 -> 7.2.1, or 7.0 ->7.1 -> 7.2 -> 7.2.1, or 7.0 -> 7.2 -> 7.2.1).
  • The fix is *not* required for any original 7.0, 7.1 or 7.2 installation to upgrade to 7.2.1 (7.0 -> 7.2.1, 7.1 -> 7.2.1, or 7.2 -> 7.2.1).

Of course, please make sure you have a backup before starting your upgrade.  I used a VM snapshot, rolled back after upgrade failure, made the changes, and the upgrade completed successfully.

We are working to package the fix in an upcoming 7.2.1 patch release.

---Karl

@konnerth

So is the engineering fix available thru support at this time?  The way I read the above is that there is a fix and to call support for them to assist you with it.  

If that is the case then this should be communicated to support cause I too am getting the run around and no one seems to know anything.   Seems like the blind leading the blind there.

Can someone help me help them so I can get the help I need?

Thanks,

Larry

konnerth

Hi Larry,

Information about the VSC 7.2.1 upgrade issue has gone out to the global virtualization support team.  It's possible that some L1 TSE is not aware of this.

My rule of thumb is if you feel you are not getting the level of support you need, ask for the duty manager and explain your need.   If you share a case number we can help with this, too.

I am sorry for the run around!

---Karl

larryblanco

Karl,

my case number is:  2007766674

Thank you for your help.. It is greatly appreciated!

The current support engineer wants to return my case to an archived state.  

Larry B.

pdunne

Hi Karl,

i have a ticket open with Support 2007769344, and like Larry , i am being told by support to keep an eye on the BugWatcher, that there is no officeial fix as of yet.

thansk & Reagrds

paul

konnerth

Hi Paul,

It looks like Support got back to you on this today.  But let me know if you need further assistance.

---Karl 

JAL

We are currently starting our VM upgrade to ESXi 6.7U1 and also need NetApp VSC to work properly.

Information I have, is that when ESXi 6.7 Update 2 is released, it will Remove the Web Client and will not be available.

That being said, since NetApp states:

HTML5 compatible plug-in available for preview, You must use the HTML5 feature only for lab environments.

When will the plug-in for HTML5 work as needed and not just a Read-Only as stated?

Thanks,

-joe

Public